Some attic finds...more to come when I have time to take pictures!

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
LoveBlockIsland
Settling in

Some attic finds...more to come when I have time to take pictures!

Post by LoveBlockIsland »

Some finds from the house we are helping to not renovate. I don't like the word "renovate". It sounds like we will be changing the original look of a home. We will be just making it livable for now. I have the bug. I can not stand paint. I love the look of the wood. Maybe strip paint eventually once we have settled in.

There are beautiful hardwood floors. To me they are. They are in decent shape to be able to restore, but for now, we will be putting carpet down and live in it for awhile to see how we fair during a New England winter, which is usually brutally cold. I would love to restore the floors eventually! The floor isn't an antique, but I added a quick picture of a corner of the bedroom floor.

A lot of interesting finds in the attic. I need to rewire this lamp. I included a picture of the underside of the lamp. It looks like it says, "148D Calpa". Reupholster the chair with the rust stain on the seat, unless someone knows what I can use on the rust stain without losing the color in the fabric of the seat.

An asbestos shingle cutter. "The Improved Handy Asbestos Shingle Cutter". Model F. Is this model from the 30s?

Any ideas of the age of any of these items? I know these items aren't that old, but a lot better than today's stuff!!!

I still need to get back up into the attic to take a picture of the house length work table that is up there and the loom I found. So cool!
Attachments
20180613_171326.jpg
20180613_171326.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 854 times
20180607_081011.jpg
20180607_081011.jpg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 858 times
20180610_172058.jpg
20180610_172058.jpg (693.3 KiB) Viewed 858 times
20180612_155827.jpg
20180612_155827.jpg (432.24 KiB) Viewed 858 times
20180613_155923.jpg
20180613_155923.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 858 times
20180613_172437.jpg
20180613_172437.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 858 times

Neighmond

Re: Some attic finds...more to come when I have time to take pictures!

Post by Neighmond »

We should all be so lucky! That lamp is a beaut!

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

The guillotine shingle cutter is a cool piece. It's from the 1930s. Almost looks like something you could see being misused in a "Three Stooges" short. The lamp is from the same era.

The chair with the blue upholstery doesn't appear to be that old - maybe 1970s-80s. The writing desk and the other two chairs are probably 1940s.

LoveBlockIsland
Settling in

Post by LoveBlockIsland »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:The guillotine shingle cutter is a cool piece. It's from the 1930s. Almost looks like something you could see being misused in a "Three Stooges" short. The lamp is from the same era.

The chair with the blue upholstery doesn't appear to be that old - maybe 1970s-80s. The writing desk and the other two chairs are probably 1940s.

Hahaha!!! Love the Stooges reference! I could tell the blue chair wasn't that old. It has that "colonial", "Little House On the Prairie" feel to it. I took the blue chair and the little table down from upstairs the day my Dad was visiting for him to have somewhere to sit. Surprisingly, the seat feels as if no one has ever sat in it.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

I am a big fan of Antiques Road show. That table reminds me of something that was found in an attic by new homeowners of an old house like yours.

Turns out it was a Federalist table that was worth at auction a quarter of a million dollars, and they showed the auction and the price went a little higher.

Some of those finds like those and that other thread could be worth something.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

I'm laughing a bit because we still have brand new Asbestos shingles neatly stacked in our cellar. That cutter looks nifty, though.

I concur on the lamp being a great find.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

those lamps arent' as hard to find as the origional glass shades. I always see them minus the shade..
love the tile cutter and you just have to admire the quality and the thought put into it's design. It's an art object if you look at it as such.