Seth Thomas Clock

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Seth Thomas Clock

Post by phil »

I often use a mixture of solvent and oil with a brush on stuck mechanical parts. the solvent helps clean and thins the oil a little then evaporates leaving behind a bit of oil, after that I might use other solvents or suitable oils for the application.
the reason is beacuse sometimes dirt and dust and things preven the oil from entry into the places it really needs to be.

be careful with clock faces. often the lettering is water soluble and many have realized that after wiping off numbers.

I have heard of a powder , like fine sawdust used to clean clocks. I wouldnt' attempt to use just any sawdust. It's probably best to consult a clockmaker or one who is in the hobby. I think they used to use whale oil and perhaps there is a modern favorite like very thin silicone oil.

I would not use WD 40 or 3 in one oil without more research it might actually want an oil that is much thinner than a sewing machine oil. it might be fine to use as a start during cleaning but I'd try to use an appropriate oil for this you wont' need much.

I have a little ultrasonic cleaner. It's only a coffee cup sized one and perhaps not as good as the commercial ones like your dentist may have. you can use various solutions. Usually I just use it for radio knobs and little things with soap and water but I'd actually be careful with water. maybe there are iron parts. I would think it would be ok to use water if it were immediately followed by thorough lubrication to leave an oil film on anything that might rust but there are probably some tried and true procedures, no point in just speculating.

the wrong oil or getting everything oily that doesn't need to be might attract more dust and result in more issues. some machines like tablesaws are best not coated with oil, so I'd try to keep it to the lubrication points and not all over the place because oil attracts dust like a magnet.

there are also dry lube sprays containing graphite. they don't attract dust the same way but they leave a black mess and may not be appropriate. I wouldnt' use the dry spray lube in an aerosol but you might find it in a tiny dispenser like they might use in locks. Im not sure if that would be appropriate or just too messy.

in general when cleaning stuff. since some contaminats are water soluble and others are solvent soluble I often use water then a solvent then maybe stronger stuff like brake clean. for stuff like electronic boards I like to use a jet of air with a squirt bottle of alcohol. You direct the jet towards the thing and then invert the bottle between so it sprays the part with an alcohol and air mist. even strong air from a blow gun could damage delicate springs and things. I just fdo that when I want no oil residue left but you have to be aware that an atomized alcohol mist is very flamable or even explosive.

other than solvents and water there are some less stinky alternatives like water miscible solvents and they are best for some things. I have a parts washer that can use a solvent but if I use the newer water miscible cleaners it isn't as stinky. I find the solvent based ones work better so it's a trade off. in some cases like when you have water soluble components in what you are cleaning the water based cleaners can work better.
we might need a sewing machine thread (no pun intended) Ive got a bunch of them and I bet others here do too. I have some old singers, one like a big wooden lunch box. one is a (50's?) cabinet machine but its in super nice shape. . My mom collected them so we have a bunch in the family. Ive got some singer featherweights with the open arm that are very beautiful machines and very collectable. I got lucky one day at a thrift store.. I think in general sewing machines were deemed not very desired as everyone in the 50's had them and very few use them not but I suspect they may climb in value when all you can get is made in china type quality with all the unnecessary plastic bits and electronics you wish it didn't have.

I saw one idea in an old magazine where they suggested putting a sawblade in a sewing machine for cutting fretwork and things. it would work like a little jigsaw only precision. they usually aren't that powerful so I guess it would be limited but I could see trying this if you had to live in a compartment.

Nettie
Been here a while

Post by Nettie »

Seth Thomas.jpg
Seth Thomas.jpg (614.28 KiB) Viewed 599 times
I think I have that same clock. I love it!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Nettie, it most certainly look like the same clock. Both very nice clocks. Why can’t I ever find such nice clocks.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Gothichome wrote:Nettie, it most certainly look like the same clock. Both very nice clocks. Why can’t I ever find such nice clocks.

It's all in the timing ;-)

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

:lol:

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Lol!