Seth Thomas Clock

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Seth Thomas Clock

Post by Corsetière »

My ridiculously cheap antiques streak is continuing! I got this clock for $5! I guess they are relatively common and I will have to get the right key to wind it but I think it is really pretty even if it never runs! :lol:

Neighmond

Re: Seth Thomas Clock

Post by Neighmond »

Pretty! Let me know if you need a key, I have some new ones in the drawer. That probably has an 89 movement of some variation....they are very reliable. Pretty sounding if the gongs is cleaned and the leather isn't missing or hardened up.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

My local clock repairman advised me to hold out for Seth Thomas when shopping for an antique clock. I'd say you got a great deal.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Wow--really stunning! I love that the embellishments are in harmony with those on the mantle. Great score!
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Neighmond wrote:Pretty! Let me know if you need a key, I have some new ones in the drawer. That probably has an 89 movement of some variation....they are very reliable. Pretty sounding if the gongs is cleaned and the leather isn't missing or hardened up.

Yeah! If you have an extra, that would be great!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Manalto wrote:My local clock repairman advised me to hold out for Seth Thomas when shopping for an antique clock. I'd say you got a great deal.

Niiiice! Thanks! :thumbup:

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

MJ1987 wrote:Wow--really stunning! I love that the embellishments are in harmony with those on the mantle. Great score!

Isn't it great how they kind of match! :D Can't wait to strip that white paint!

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

+1 on these having very reliable movements. Usually a good cleaning and light lubrication is all they need. There's plenty of information out there on how to service these good enough to get them back into service as long as nothing is missing or broken.

Mantel clocks like this were popular from the 1890s through the 1920s, with the peak era being the 19-oughts. I'd say yours dates to circa 1900, give or take a couple of years. It's probably no older than the mid 1890s and no newer than about 1909. After about 1910 or so, the boxier styles, which had also been around since the 1890s, took over in popularity.

Some of these have date codes stamped on the bottom. The year is written backwards along with the corresponding month as a letter. For example, 3091B would translate to February 1903.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Ive collected a number of old wind up clocks always meaning to delve into them more. they seem to be attracted to my old radios for some reason. I think it's important that they are level so I'd throw a level on the clock movement to see if it is level in reference to its feet.

usually wind up clocks with two winders chime on the hour and ones with three winders have the Westminster chimes.
I had a conversation with a guy that fixed clocks , he pointed out that wind up clocks will run faster when fully wound as they have more force but that weakens as they unwind. whereas the ones with counterweights have a more constant "push" as the pressure from the weights doesn't change. You got a nice buy.

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

What a lovely clock!! Looks right at home on your mantel!
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!