Are these windows worth $80 for the pair?

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Are these windows worth $80 for the pair?

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Just wondered about the glass in them. I'm not good at judging value in these things. What do you think?
Bonnie

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: Are these windows worth $80 for the pair?

Post by Willa »

I guess it depends on :

a) What use you have for them, and the value to you
b) The actual value of the textured glass compared to what you would pay from a local glass shop, stained glass place, etc.
c) If the glass and frame is a useable size for your purposes

Sometimes I get all worked up over an old thing, but have to sit down and ask myself similar questions. Sometimes I have hummed and hawed over buying an old house part that I KNOW is a good deal, perfect for my repair, etc., and afterwards I have to shake my head at myself for being so ridiculous about buying a thing I needed. This is also because I don't have unlimited storage space, and the sight of an unused part that has been sitting around for X months/years makes me feel frustrated and discouraged.

That said I have also passed up stuff that was great, a fair price, whatever.

When I spot something really interesting, I try to download a pic or two. Sometimes amazing stuff is snapped up - never to be seen again. Sometimes I look through my files and think "That was a great thing but I still don't have room for it." Once in awhile I feel a little despair over the thing that got away - but usually I still agree with my final decision.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

I only know plain modern glass price due to some storm frame replacements I priced out last year for our triple tracks (I think it was $19 per standard half sash equivalent frame, I have a note somewhere in my price book). Yet if the wood is in good shape, as is the glass, from what I can guess of their size for the image, I don't think it's highway robbery, especially if it's older textured glass and/or older wood.

I agree with Willa on her points.

I've been pretty lucky with some of my impulse buys, but they've all been easy to move along with the exception of the waterfall set. I still feel dumb about that set, but I would never have thought we'd buy an older home with adequate closets, but a too narrow staircase. :P

I have no regrets, however, for the one set of cabinet doors I currently have stored in the cellar, nor the door bolt I got, both of which I do have plans for (and the room to store). The bolt especially probably won't get used for many years, but I'm ok with that. Plus right now it makes a great paperweight on my desk. ;-)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

It's a tricky question, Bonnie. If they're exactly what you were looking for - or if they solve your problem in a way you hadn't considered but appeals to you - maybe you should go for it. You already know this but, if you decide against using them, reselling them for $80 will probably be rather a long wait.

It's funny you should post this because I'm in the same boat. I've been hemming and hawing about these cupboard doors for almost a month, hoping someone will snap them up and save me from having to make the decision. The seller thinks they're historically significant because they came from a local high school before it was torn down. (I don't.) Price? You guessed it - $80. Maybe our sellers were separated at birth?

ImageCabinet doors by James McInnis, on Flickr

I guess we should ask ourselves, "Could I get them built for $80?" and of course you can't. On the other hand, you could find these piled up at the curb tomorrow - or never.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

Manalto wrote:It's a tricky question....."Could I get them built for $80?" and of course you can't. On the other hand, you could find these piled up at the curb tomorrow - or never.

This question and realization is the bane of my existence. I'm a VERY compulsive person, a creature of habit. I've trained myself to take everything. A good friend once said, "If it's on the garbage, take it. You can always put in on the curb at your house later." I wish I never heard those words, because something in my inner soul latched on and never looked back. I can't even tell you how many times I've wanted/needed something "right away" and paid for it, only to find it like three days later on the garbage (i.e. windows, doors, etc). I'm just not someone who can wait. I need it NOW! :oops:

That all said, I did just pass up a set of four chippy kitchen cabinet doors at the Elephant's Trunk last weekend. They were three panel glass with c1900 round iron latch and catch. They even had old brass curtain hardware on the inside side for concealing whatever's messy in the cabinets. The seller went from $80 to $50 after some negotiation. But each door was missing half of the hinges. I stared at them for literally 30 minutes, unwavering. Ultimately, I would have paid $40 (why that number, I'm not sure) but the seller wouldn't budge. Alas, I walked away.

I've been thinking about them ever since..... :shifty:
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

awomanwithahammer

Manalto wrote:It's funny you should post this because I'm in the same boat. I've been hemming and hawing about these cupboard doors for almost a month, hoping someone will snap them up and save me from having to make the decision. The seller thinks they're historically significant because they came from a local high school before it was torn down. (I don't.) Price? You guessed it - $80. Maybe our sellers were separated at birth?

James, those are gorgeous doors, and I wouldn't hesitate to pay $80 for them! You could build a great media cabinet using them.
MJ1987 wrote:This question and realization is the bane of my existence. I'm a VERY compulsive person, a creature of habit. I've trained myself to take everything. A good friend once said, "If it's on the garbage, take it. You can always put in on the curb at your house later." I wish I never heard those words, because something in my inner soul latched on and never looked back. I can't even tell you how many times I've wanted/needed something "right away" and paid for it, only to find it like three days later on the garbage (i.e. windows, doors, etc). I'm just not someone who can wait. I need it NOW! :oops:

That all said, I did just pass up a set of four chippy kitchen cabinet doors at the Elephant's Trunk last weekend. They were three panel glass with c1900 round iron latch and catch. They even had old brass curtain hardware on the inside side for concealing whatever's messy in the cabinets. The seller went from $80 to $50 after some negotiation. But each door was missing half of the hinges. I stared at them for literally 30 minutes, unwavering. Ultimately, I would have paid $40 (why that number, I'm not sure) but the seller wouldn't budge. Alas, I walked away.

I've been thinking about them ever since..... :shifty:

Matt, I get that. And you're asking yourself--it was $10! WTF! You spend that much on lunch!

Free is good! I just picked up a bunch of cabinets and bookcases from the college where I used to work. They were taken out of the science building a number of years ago and have been in storage. The physical plant director knows I do renovations and he asked me if I wanted them. Duh! They're perfect for the built-ins I'm planning for my sewing room.

Back to my topic--the reason I asked about these windows is because I know that the search for authentic, old obscured glass is ongoing here on THD, and you never know, I MIGHT need them someday. And I don't know enough to know if they're the right kind, but they're full sashes. I'd go check them out for myself, but they're for sale in a town at some distance away. I think I'll probably pass on them. Thanks for the input, y'all.
Bonnie

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

Regular wavy salvage glass is $.16 per square inch from the old glass guy locally, so I'd say they're reasonable, since that pattern of obscure glass is probably discontinued.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

awomanwithahammer wrote:Free is good!

Ain't it the truth! Yesterday I got a free ceiling fan (a nice, plain, dark-brass one with no frou-frou) from the freebie section of Craigslist. The person who listed it told me that he replaced it with a ceiling fan with a light, so now it's mine. Do you think I may enjoy having a fan in Alabama in the summer? (I'm being awfully rhetorical today.)

Vala

Post by Vala »

I'd say they're worth it esp because they're privacy glass, is there another pic with the pattern up close? Is it florentine glass? There is a company that makes florentine glass still but it's hard to get since unless you can have a glass shop order it for you, they would charge you freight shipping and have minimum orders.

awomanwithahammer

Vala wrote:I'd say they're worth it esp because they're privacy glass, is there another pic with the pattern up close? Is it florentine glass? There is a company that makes florentine glass still but it's hard to get since unless you can have a glass shop order it for you, they would charge you freight shipping and have minimum orders.

Vala, this is the best view of them. I tried enlarging the pics, but from this side, it just looks like regular, I don't know the term, obscured glass. Maybe from the other side you could see the pattern. I could try to get the seller to send me a close up of the other side, but I don't want to make the drive for something I might not want. They could be modern glass in old frames.
Bonnie