Anybody know how old these might be?

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Anybody know how old these might be?

Post by awomanwithahammer »

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/fuo/d/ ... 76880.html

I might have to go get these no matter how old they are. I mean, for $10! They're very intriguing looking, but I'm just curious. Could the shades possibly be mica?
Bonnie

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: Anybody know how old these might be?

Post by Willa »

They are very odd. They might be 1920's or 1990's. They are unique enough that they are worth gambling $ 10.00 on, if you like them. Very hard to judge the age without looking at the casting, wiring, etc. A matched pair of lamps, or cabinets or whatever is always good to have.

CL mantra: S/he who hesitates is lost.

Go get 'em !

nhguy
Stalwart

Post by nhguy »

Having worked for several gift ware importers over the years, they look like they are made in India. Their age would be a guess, but 30 years old or so at most. It's hard to judge exactly without seeing them, but for $10, what's there to lose.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I agree, for $10. I don’t see a down side. I would think if they were 1900ish the cords would have gone up the middle and not been seen. Style wise my first impressions was A&C style, would look nice in a period A&C room.

1918ColonialRevival

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

The shades look like they could be mica, but I suspect they are repros. I'm thinking '70s/'80s.

awomanwithahammer

Thanks, guys! I texted the seller yesterday, and have heard nothing back so I'm not going to pursue it. I hate when you don't get any response from the seller. If it's sold, take the listing down and at least have the courtesy to respond to buyers to let them know it's sold! :-x

I appreciate the input. I'm not good at judging the age of stuff, so it helps to have folks with knowledge to weigh in with their thoughts.
Bonnie

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

the fact that they have in line switches is probably a tip off that these are not that old, some of the pottery barn style repros are pretty convincing. In person you might be able to see by looking underneath and seeing if the patina is sprayed on ;-)
If you don't get good communications they could be waiting for someone that said they would come. sometimes it just takes a little time for them to cross some flaky person off their list that said they would come pick it up, that happens too.
Mica isnt' really a rare material. my guess is it's plastic but I could be wrong. If it were mica it would nbeed a seam as it cant' be molded, it occurs naturally in flat sheets. I dontl think you can bend it into a tight radius although you might bend it a little, I don't think you could form a tight cone without it breaking.

awomanwithahammer

That's kind of what I was wondering about the mica, Phil. I haven't heard a peep from him, so I'm not going to pursue it unless he contacts me. Not worth it, unless they really are antique, which I'm doubting more and more. Thanks!
Bonnie