Renaissance Revival Chair

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Renaissance Revival Chair

Post by Corsetière »

I had another good find! $10 for this chair. :)

It goes well with my other Renaissance revival chair. I'd be excited to find the couch to coordinate next!

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Re: Renaissance Revival Chair

Post by Willa »

That's a pretty nice one ! No missing wood bits or whatnots, either.

The unhappy springs at the bottom make an amazing cartoon "SPROING !" sound effect when I look at them. I just can't undo the years of childhood damage watching 1940's cartoons on t.v. I guess.

What kind of upholstery colors and/or materials are you contemplating ?

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Willa wrote:That's a pretty nice one ! No missing wood bits or whatnots, either.

The unhappy springs at the bottom make an amazing cartoon "SPROING !" sound effect when I look at them. I just can't undo the years of childhood damage watching 1940's cartoons on t.v. I guess.

What kind of upholstery colors and/or materials are you contemplating ?

Thanks! I thought it was pretty lovely for $10, and it has most of the upholstery nails too!
I'm trying to decide on fabric...I still have my fabulous couch that needs work too so I don't know if I should try to do all the furniture in the room the same material? I really need a second couch for the room, too. So I was waiting to see what would turn up first. I picture them all in some sort of rich jewel tone mohair velvet.

Ha ha! Yes the springs are great! I told another friend that I am starting a Misanthropic Chair collection. With chairs like these, no one will come to visit. lol!

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Corsetière wrote:Ha ha! Yes the springs are great! I told another friend that I am starting a Misanthropic Chair collection. With chairs like these, no one will come to visit. lol!

If those were misanthropic chairs the springs would be coming through the TOP of the seats.

These might be passive aggressive chairs, though. The frame and upholstery look nice, but I imagine if you sit that some deep sinking and possible chair entrapment would happen ?

I have been lurking on Ebay, looking for upholstery velvet for my found chaise. Some deals to be found, if you are familiar with the brands and are not super hung up on a "perfect" color. I was having some feelings about this silk/viscose Stroheim velvet, while looking for a solid. According to the listing, the background color is gold - not chartreuse as pictured. I was more excited by the chartreuse. PM me if you want the link.

s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 956 times

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Willa wrote:
Corsetière wrote:Ha ha! Yes the springs are great! I told another friend that I am starting a Misanthropic Chair collection. With chairs like these, no one will come to visit. lol!

If those were misanthropic chairs the springs would be coming through the TOP of the seats.

These might be passive aggressive chairs, though. The frame and upholstery look nice, but I imagine if you sit that some deep sinking and possible chair entrapment would happen ?

I have been lurking on Ebay, looking for upholstery velvet for my found chaise. Some deals to be found, if you are familiar with the brands and are not super hung up on a "perfect" color. I was having some feelings about this silk/viscose Stroheim velvet, while looking for a solid. According to the listing, the background color is gold - not chartreuse as pictured. I was more excited by the chartreuse. PM me if you want the link.

s-l1600-2.jpg

Yummy! I am thinking maybe teal or plum would be nice? I have a couple things bookmarked on eBay too. I want to finish selecting what will go in which room first and then make a choice. I don't know if that room will ultimately settle on Rococco , Renaissance Revival, or an eclectic mix... :)

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Nice chairs Corcetiere, you know, if they were upholstered in the same fabric, on a quick glance no one would notice they are different chairs. As far as over all interior styling and the period your hame was built, I would go forward in thinking, renaissance revival, eastlake with a touch of art Nouveau. Victorians we’re forward thinkers, not regressive thinkers. The Rocco would be seen as just old and gaudy, (but that could just be my biases)
Looking forward could still give you eclectic feel.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Gothichome wrote:Nice chairs Corcetiere, you know, if they were upholstered in the same fabric, on a quick glance no one would notice they are different chairs. As far as over all interior styling and the period your hame was built, I would go forward in thinking, renaissance revival, eastlake with a touch of art Nouveau. Victorians we’re forward thinkers, not regressive thinkers. The Rocco would be seen as just old and gaudy, (but that could just be my biases)
Looking forward could still give you eclectic feel.

Yeah I am hoping to find more Red Revival stuff and of course I am nuts about art nouveau. :)
I keep hoping to pickup a Ren Revival couch or two...I've got my eyes peeled!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Wow. Just, wow. I'm glad you keep finding all these lovelies to show us, Corsetière.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.