anyone know about old violins?

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Re: anyone know about old violins?

Post by SouthernLady »

Is it a one-piece or two-piece back? Post a photo of the back!! :-)

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

here is a pic of the back , so I'd say two piece and the grain is bookmatched.

I had it posted on craigslist to see if I could get more info and one guy claimed to have been a Luther but said he sends anything now to a (practicing) Luthier. He gave me his name and I tried contacting him .. the guy from craigslist was interested in it and remarked about a curvature. I'm not sure now if he was referencing the front or the back but I guess the curvature affects the sound somehow.. are some flat on the backside?

The pic of the back looks a lot rougher in the pic than reality. I am surprised, digital photos do that sometimes, but maybe that's OK, at least it shows the grain in detail.

I left a message for the one local violin restorer but maybe I just have to wait. I thought maybe I could contact a violin instructor and figured if they weren't trying to estimate with one hand and buy with the other, maybe they could offer me a ballpark at least. One music school got back and said they dont' teach violin but gave me a couple of other names.

my plan right now is to not sell it or do anything until I can get someone that knows what they are talking about to have a look and get some sort of appraisal. Then I will probably sell it. I might actually consider lessons, I'll talk to the instructors and see what info I can get on that.. I kind of don't see it being my forte but never know.. It might actually be a lot of fun even if I don't get great at it.... To be really good I know it takes a lot of devotion. As it is now I dont' have the foggiest idea on price. all I know is that when I pick it up and look at it I think gee this is nice If I were to play one I'd love an older one like this as opposed to something stamped out on an assembly line.

It does have three of the strings and some tension and that's how it was when I first got it. I showed it to a guitar Luther (I worked with him, he's a joinery instructor) and he said the same to keep the tension about "normal" while not in use but couldn't comment on the value.

Thanks everyone for the great info.. I will follow up and post back here when I get some sort of appraisal and Ill try to have a closer look inside yet.

Phil
Attachments
violin5.jpg
violin5.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 457 times

phil

Post by phil »

Today I have an appointment with the music academy, they will have a look at it and give me some info. Ive been toying with the idea of taking lessons. I don't know if Its just a crazy idea but then I've been spending too much time alone and maybe it would be a good way to get out and socialize a bit. actually getting anywhere near "good" is probably a pipe dream but I think I might try a couple lessons just for the heck of it. I dont' think it's going to be super pricey just for strings and bowhair if that's all I need.. but I guess I will find out more.
if there is a label in the fret holes it's pretty hard to see but who knows , with a tiny camera it might be easier to see in there.

Ober51
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Ober51 »

This was one of my favorite appraisals: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/season ... 201205A13/

phil

Post by phil »

I went and saw the instructor , that was interesting. she said I had the bridge in backwards. It needs new strings which I knew. SHe thought it was a decent quality instrument and said if I had it working so she could play it she could evaluate it's sound and that I should do that because the person who bought it would want to play it and they would probably be able to evaluate it that way.
I got some names of shops I can see about an appraisal. she didn't really value it or give me any info on it's date but we had a really good chat and she was super nice. So I guess it's one step at a time. she gave me the name of some strings she likes and said dont' buy the cheapest strings it will make a difference in sound thus value. She didn't push the courses but said she had taught an ironworker who was older and green like me and he had really gotten into it.

I think Ill save up for some strings and get it playing. she said the shop could evaluate the bow. it might be another hundred for the bow hair to be replaced and it could work out that it's cheaper to replace the bow than re-hair it so Ill find out about that too.

So I'm just a little further and I guess I'm weighing up the idea of taking courses. I think I want to take just a few and try and then if I sell it fine or if I get into it then that might be just a fun way to get out and do something way different. It all doesn't have to happen today I guess.
she didnt' charge me for that so I floated her a 20 and thanked her for her time.

Phil