What the heck is this thingamajig for?

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
phil
Has many leather bound books

What the heck is this thingamajig for?

Post by phil »

I found it on the road and I think I e had it 10 years now..I'm not sure why I needed one :)
Attachments
IMG_2442.JPG
IMG_2442.JPG (1.92 MiB) Viewed 521 times

phil

Re: What the heck is this thingamajig for?

Post by phil »

I'm pretty sure I needed a pair of these too.. one day I'll know why:)
Attachments
IMG_2443.JPG
IMG_2443.JPG (890.14 KiB) Viewed 519 times

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

first one looks like a 1950's manual conkulator...that's what I call anything I can't identify though the vintage changes accordingly...second one looks like a Mojave desert cactus tree pencil weight...

...jade

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

That pencil ain't goin nowhere!

phil

Post by phil »

I think the second one might be brackets for a weird one wheel trailer that used to be sold by sears until they realized those trailers seriously affect the car's handling.
My dad had one. it's still around somewhere. I should try to restore it now. it would look funky.
they are fun to back up with because they act like the rest of the car but when you unhook them they kinda want ot fall over ;-) I think I found something similar on a one wheel trailer website;-)
http://www.singlewheel.com/

the first I have no idea, some sort of lever, maybe a handle off an outboard motor? or something? part of a tie down cynch?
Phil

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

The top photo looks like most of a strap or chain binder, minus the hooks or strapping. Them in the second photo clamp on the edges of a trailer or truck box to give a tie down point, or hold something down.....the loose chain links on the end drops over the one hook to hold the thing in position, and you can sort of quick release it by knocking the chain link loose of that hook and they will swing freely again.

phil

Post by phil »

so the C clamp thing holds it to the truck bed , the loose chain loop is to hold it fastened to the truck and that part that pivots with the hook thingys is to hook a chain onto to secure the load? then youd tighten the chain with a synch or something? it seems like the hook thingies face the wrong way or maybe Im still confused but yea maybe that's what they are?