Antique Cabinets/Clueless Seller (vent)

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Antique Cabinets/Clueless Seller (vent)

Post by Corsetière »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:
Corsetière wrote:I think we have Antiques Roadshow to blame for the delusional pricing. Amateurs think everything is priceless now.

They don't call it the "idiot box" for nothing! :lol:

Yes, they get half the story and figure anything old is expensive. lol!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Willa wrote:
(Why I even attempted to explain all this is frankly beyond me.)

lol! Due to my experiences, I'm convinced half the people on there are barely literate and probably have mental deficiencies as well.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Those pictures you got sent. Wow. That's telling indeed.

Along these same lines, two things come to mind:
I deal with the comic book and graphic novel crowd. I am a reader and not a collector in the "investment" sense. Since the glut era, every last Jane or Joe on the planet thinks that whatever comic they have is worth huge bucks even if it is post Silver vintage and looks like their little brother dropped their freezy pop on the cover and they never tried to clean up the sugar later.

They honestly don't understand that especially with post Silver era, second + printings are quite possible with weeklies, especially popular titles--and worth squat. Forget all those who don't even bother to do their research ahead of time.
Clueless Idiot Box Watcher: "Um, I saw on that comics book show where they bought a "Death of Superman" for $50. I've got this one here." *produce a well worn but at least card and boarded issue which is no where near the condition of the one that was on the show*
Me: "Oh really? I have three of those I got as part of a lot that I paid less than five cents a comic for, still in the original spoiler hider wrappers with the extra special trading cards still inside. And you want me to buy yours for that price? No thanks."

Some get angry. Some get that light bulb shine brightly over their head just before their face falls. I actually showed one of the angry sellers our three because they thought I was just trying to talk them down and I happened to have them within grabbing reach. Wow were they mad when I wasn't. :lol:

There is a special circle in hell for those who do not understand (or do not want to understand) what "mint condition" and "near mint" really means.

The other is shabby chic. I know that folks like what they like, even if what they want done to something in really good shape basically makes it a Drunken Weasel remuddle for the next owner who would have killed their first born to get that piece pre shabby. Yes, for pieces that weren't in great shape to begin with, they can get a much appreciated new life. But when folks take perfectly good or easily restorable antiques and do that? ...I've talked to a few old stuff lovers who have half jokingly conspired murder on this latter category's remuddlers.

It's hard to help those who learned lessons from the idiot box (and I include YouTube in that now, along with CL and ebay) unlearn those lessons. Yes, a sucker is born every minute. I do not want to be one of them.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

This really sweet halltree that was ruined with a gallon of white paint keeps coming up on craigslist and it just kills me every time I see it. :(

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Corsetière wrote:This really sweet halltree that was ruined with a gallon of white paint keeps coming up on craigslist and it just kills me every time I see it. :(

Another project for your well practiced stripping abilities? :D
Mick...

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Mick_VT wrote:
Corsetière wrote:This really sweet halltree that was ruined with a gallon of white paint keeps coming up on craigslist and it just kills me every time I see it. :(

Another project for your well practiced stripping abilities? :D

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :::echoes into infinity:::: :crazy: :lol:

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

(I am such a sucker for projects) "But it's only $15!"

They should do a psychological study on all of us. What is with this deep need to fix everything and make it beautiful again?! :lol:

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Corsetière wrote:(I am such a sucker for projects) "But it's only $15!"

They should do a psychological study on all of us. What is with this deep need to fix everything and make it beautiful again?! :lol:
There are worse quirks to have, in my not so humble opinion. ;-)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Lily left the valley wrote:
Corsetière wrote:(I am such a sucker for projects) "But it's only $15!"

There are worse quirks to have, in my not so humble opinion. ;-)

This is me all over - I simply cannot resist working out how something originally looked, and what it was used for then putting it back that way. This doesn't necessarily include the first incarnation of it. For example I repainted my house in its 1890 colors, not the white of 1860-70, but by and large I am compelled to "restore"
Mick...

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

:lol: :lol: :lol: