light fixture

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
oaktree
Forgotten more than most know

light fixture

Post by oaktree »

I bought this because I liked how it looked, but I didn't know much about it. It looks like it's from the 20s maybe...how would it have looked originally? Where in a house would it be found? I haven't been able to find any similar fixtures online to compare it with!

I'm redoing a closet and thinking of putting it there.
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: light fixture

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

It's a small, single bulb fixture, so it likely would have hung in a "service area", such as a pantry, basement, or other utility area. They are also sometimes found in smaller bathrooms. These were usually originally painted in a gold or bronze base and sometimes had the details highlighted in other colors like greens, blues, or reds. Yours looks like it's made of cast aluminum and it would have had a ceramic socket.

Fixtures like these were at their peak in the 1925-35 era. I'd say yours is from the early '30s.

As far as I know, current US code requires closet fixtures to have a globe or other enclosure over the bulb.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

does the screw spacing coincide with it fitting over a light pot? when I saw it I figured it was a lamp base and made from cast iron but maybe it's smaller than I thought.

I picked up some table posts like you'd see in a restaraunt with a center post and they have tin things that shape to hide where they bolt to the floor. I thought maybe you could use it as a lamp base and then put push on push off type buttons you can step on to turn the lamp on and off. If it is small then maybe a base for a table lamp? I think it is already identified but you could repurpose it that way if you just like the shape.. or it could be like a thing to hang a pull chain from to turn another light on and off? base for a ceiling fan perhaps?

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:It's a small, single bulb fixture, so it likely would have hung in a "service area", such as a pantry, basement, or other utility area. They are also sometimes found in smaller bathrooms. These were usually originally painted in a gold or bronze base and sometimes had the details highlighted in other colors like greens, blues, or reds. Yours looks like it's made of cast aluminum and it would have had a ceramic socket.

Fixtures like these were at their peak in the 1925-35 era. I'd say yours is from the early '30s.

As far as I know, current US code requires closet fixtures to have a globe or other enclosure over the bulb.

Super helpful, thank you! I believe a ceramic socket fits it the last time I was messing around with it. I will check again!

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

phil wrote:does the screw spacing coincide with it fitting over a light pot? when I saw it I figured it was a lamp base and made from cast iron but maybe it's smaller than I thought.

I had not even thought of that, but you might be right! I am going to double check the spacing of the holes.