My $15 Auction Find.

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: My $15 Auction Find.

Post by Corsetière »

Manalto wrote: I suspect that this style, because of its sumptuous appearance, enjoyed great popularity and you'll be able to complete a set without too much trouble. Good luck!

I hope so, I see a lot of bedrooms suites in this style. It would be so lovely to find the exact match in a sofa. The proportions of this chair are particularly good and it's a good example of the style. :)

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

Photobucket isn't showing the pic at the moment but, based on my memory of the chair, the upholstery on the following might be helpful. We found them at antique shops in Cape May, NJ.

~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Olson185 wrote:Photobucket isn't showing the pic at the moment

Yeah, what the heck is going on with photo bucket?! I had to switch over to IMGUR. Annoying! I don't think they are going to get more customers by annoying people in this way....

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Corsetière wrote:
Olson185 wrote:Photobucket isn't showing the pic at the moment

Yeah, what the heck is going on with photo bucket?! I had to switch over to IMGUR. Annoying! I don't think they are going to get more customers by annoying people in this way....
Either they'll drop it, or I should think about finding another host for some of my hobby images for another interest area of mine. There's a good chance my gamer newspaper images I'm the editor for is all that and I'm just too tired to look at it and figure out a work around right now let alone move them all. :-(
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I wonder if photobucket links can be forbidden on this forum so this cant' keep happening? It's not intentional for the people using it to be caught in this but it spoils the forums continuity. Im not sure if that is even possible to do in the software. could Photobucket be a prohibited word maybe? or can photobucket.com be a prohibited site to link to after this malicious activity?

Maybe it's a half-baked plan? this isn't a glitch or software error it is a direct attempt from photobucket to make things not work which isn't unintentional it is malicious.
for this reason, I'd cease to use them and copy any images from there to a more friendly space. maybe just a sticky telling people to not link to photobucket would be simpler?

if we could change the code like that here they would all just be broken links and appear as something like "file not found" but then if people did move theirs to the gallery without changing the file name, they would start working again am I right? I know the forum isn't simple HTML code so I'm not sure is an update like that is possible but it might be?

If one had a website with a lot of photobucket images they might be able to relocate them and then run a script on their own source code(like find and replace) that would go through and change every occurrence of @photobucket.com to something like

<https://thehistoricdistrict.org/gallery/image/ImageName>

The problem is it's difficult to steal them back because the links are intentionally blocked. If they could then be uploaded to the gallery ( by the owners of the images) Then, if my theory is correct they would all start working when they found their new home.. so maybe it could be done? I'm not sure, I'm not a web developer obviously. I probably put the slashes backwards but you probably get the idea. I really doubt many are going to pay photobucket money especially after they took such an aggressive stance.

I had some older webpages on the space my provider(shaw) included with my web subscription but then they went back on the offer and broke all my websites and revoked my websapace , it was a very tiny amount of space and I pay ample for my internet. how frustrating!

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

I use gyazo. I lose access to the pics after 30 days but any that I post to a forum, blog, etc. are retained indefinitely. I'm also able to copy and paste into MS Paint for saving on my HD.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

@phil it's not possible to block linking to a particular web address. I can stop people posting any external images, so everybody has to use the attachment or gallery feature here, but (even though having the pictures here is better for the site) I think that would not sit well with folks.
Mick...

phil

Post by phil »

thanks for looking into it Mick. Yea I agree often we want to link to external sites when discussing products etc so blocking external links completely will stifle things too much. I guess we can just encourage people to post here rather than on separate sites. its really helpful that you are providing the webspace so we can do this. One thing I see a lot of is links to sites where there are a lot of popups to subscribe and things like that. usually when websites start with that sort of technique I back out unless I am particularly interested in their website. it does mean missing some of the private blogs that are posted on "free" servers. each of us have different tolerance levels for popups and related web foolery ;-) ( for want of a better word)

phil

Post by phil »

olson if you are in windows you can use print screen to capture any image on the screen to file and save it in paint. on most images you can right click and choose "view image" then copy the URL to that page in order to "steal" the photo's link. or right click "copy image to copy the image to your clipboard and then if you open paint and use paste it will be there.
If they block the ability to copy photos print screen still works so if you can see it you can copy it. on some keyboards it might be alt and another button with print screen or prtsc or something or it might be a separate button.
on iphones you can also copy the screen. I think you press home and the off button simultaneously it works like print screen and you'll hear the sound the camera makes and if you look in photos it will be there. if you hit home or the off button out of synch it will either log out or bring up Ms. siri.
on mac computers I dont' know , others would. usually with windows there are 10 ways to do anything and on macs there is one way that makes sense and not 10 different ways to do the same thing lol.. computer gurus like mick can often do a lot of amazing things in windows with start>run and by entering dos commands they can fly in and out of all kinds of menus the average bloke wouldn't know existed. Ive worked with lots of systenms guys and some were truly amazing and they would barely touch the mouse. they would refer to people like me as a "mouse man" - someone without in depth knowledge of all the real geeky guru commands. ;-)