ID this lamp?

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

ID this lamp?

Post by Manalto »

Mick's beautifully-restored dining room and the lamp that hangs in the center with its metal overlay brought to mind a couple of questions about this lamp:
ImageStained-glass lamp by James McInnis, on Flickr

Is this called a slag lamp? What is the correct term? What style and/or period is it?

Thanks!

James

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: ID this lamp?

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Hard to tell from that pic, but that looks like it might be a repro.

People call that style of lamp "slag glass" due to the opaque glass that's usually in them, but I've seen them with other types of glass in them as well. I'm not sure when the first ones were introduced, but they were at their peak in the 1910-1920 era.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

It is definitely what would be called a slag lamp due to the glass. I concur on the age 1910-1920 to my eye.... and very nice I must say! Any makers markings on it anywhere?
Mick...

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:Hard to tell from that pic, but that looks like it might be a repro.

What about this lamp suggests that it's a repro? What kind of photographs should I take to clarify?

Mick_VT wrote:It is definitely what would be called a slag lamp due to the glass. I concur on the age 1910-1920 to my eye.... and very nice I must say! Any makers markings on it anywhere?

I checked it over for labels or imprints but didn't find anything. The base is four curved panels of glass with green swirls (I've since put a lower-wattage bulb in it) and the shade is eight panels of glass, with honey-colored swirls.

I got the answer I was hoping for regarding dates. Thanks!

James

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

Manalto wrote:
1918ColonialRevival wrote:Hard to tell from that pic, but that looks like it might be a repro.

What about this lamp suggests that it's a repro? What kind of photographs should I take to clarify?

[

I'm not saying it is or it's not, just "maybe". The only thing that made me question it is the wire used to make the decorations on the shade and side panels looks a little thinner gauge than what I've seen on most original examples I've either owned or otherwise examined in person. A picture of it unlit along with a picture showing the sockets and the area under the shade should help determine which it is.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Manalto, this style of lamp was manufactured from circa1910 to maybe 1930 at the latest. As the art nouveau and Craftsman styles wained so did the manufacture of this style of lamp. Most of the lamps of this period were evolutions from the same companies that made oil lamps. Bradley and Hubbard, Miller ect. Now days they are generically called Tiffiney lamps as I'm sure you know. Now saying that, there is no reason what so ever to discount the idea that department stores and the like did not sell the same sort of thing. I have old department store catalogues that list the style. What to look for in yours is a thick cast frame in the shade, a good weight to the body. Old style sockets and switches. The cord on yours appear to be a replacement from what would have been there in the 'period'. Not a big deal for most lamps. You can also look very carefully for manuafacturers names in the castings. Almost all the better quality manufacturers did this. Look for a B&H inside a triangle or Miller in script as an example. If it says Tiffany co. It will be a really expensive lamp if it says Tiffany Studios, lock it up in a vault. There is a real drop in value between
Tiffany and and say a B&H or a miller signed authentic lamp, still expensive lamps though. Unsigned with a proper age and fitting can get up there in price as well.
That's the good part, the bad part is they have been manufacting brand new 'Tiffany' lamps for the last twenty years or so. Some very hard to tell until you know what your looking for. A lot of the cheaper ones have a stamped steel frame, poor quality thin glass and pretty shoddy construction, on the upper end of the price range I have seen good quality construction and cast frames although the castings in my view are a bit thin, never are they signed. The better quality new lamps are still very pretty to look at and do maintain some residual value into the future, the cheap stamped brass or tin ones will be fodder for the Sally Anne stores.
With only the pic you have provided, I would suspect your's is a higher quality newer lamp. It certainly looks good, and if you do enjoy it, then all is good.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Thanks for the info!

James