Fireplace Covers

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Fireplace Covers

Post by Corsetière »

Gothichome wrote:Corsettier, great find. Don't let those three nosey social workers see them, they'll have you up for possible rust and stove black violations.

lol! Yeah we've been joking quite a bit about this theme too.

Funny thing is Columbus has a major heroin epidemic right now and they are focused on lead paint. :roll:

Old house lady
Knows the back streets

Post by Old house lady »

These are gorgeous!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Thanks, OHL!

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

They are super great, and so excellent that you have two with female forms. Plus also the $0.00 aspect and that they fit the openings is really, really perfect. Definitely meant to be.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I've never heard of this graphite coating, it sounds interesting. Coincidentally yesterday I went and bought some spray cans of graphite dry lube. I had to lubricate some stuff in a situation where grease or oil would just attract more grit.. anyway I got some on my hands and I can verify the black stays on pretty well ;) It only just occurred to me it must be a similar product? I never thought of using it as a substitute for paint but it is a coating, you can spray it on stuff and it has a black color. I guess it would give a little rust protection? easy to get at the auto parts places.

Graphite stove polish is a mix of graphite and a wax type carrier. I think the latter disperses once it gets hot, but the graphite stays on very well (i.e. I dont get it on my hands when I touch the stove) you do buff to shine it up and remove excess after applying but that's it. I think grpahite has a natural affinity for staying where it is put

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

I think the coating intended for metal as opposed to something that's meant to stay at least nominally wet like the lube would have a sealant so that the graphite wouldn't always want to rub off.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

JacquieJet
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by JacquieJet »

Those are gorgeous, Corsetiere!
One (perhaps silly) question... the purpose of the cover is just to hide the hearth when not in use, right? When you go to have a fire, what do you do with it? Does the centre portion move out of the way? Or do you remove the entire thing and store it in the winter months?
1917-ish
Happy 100th birthday, house!!

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

Ohhhh, Corsetiere!!! I am so jealous, and I am proud to say it! :-)

Those covers are so beautiful! Lucky you!! I can't wait to see what they will look like once you put something on them to bring out the detail.

JacquieJet, back in the day that these were used, chimneys didn't have dampers. That meant the heat went out the chimney in the winter and winds and such would blow trash into the room when the fireplace wasn't in use. They are a lovely alternative to shoving old newspaper into the top of the fireplace to cut the drafts out. In my house, I have the newspaper method because I haven't been as fortunate as Corsetiere. ;-)

As for the lead paint, I used to eat paint chips as a kid off my grandparents' porch door. Tasted like almonds. I'm still here! :P

OurPhillyRow
Settling in

Post by OurPhillyRow »

Corsetière wrote:I bought this first cover for a song at an antique mall...

Oh these are lovely! Jealous... Not jealous. ;-) ;-)

Although we are still many months away from moving into our old house, I have been eyeing open grilled summer screens for a while. Our original 1850s Italianate marble fireplace was replaced in the 1890s (photo below). From what I can determine, this was at the same time the firebox was converted into a heat vent when they installed gravity heat (1890s). It remains as our heat vent with our modern forced air heat. I want to remove the small vent and use a vented summer screen in its place. I think it would look wonderful with a tile surround.

Also really good to know about the graphite polish. I have several cast iron heat vents which need to be restored.

Devyn - Old House Lover
1852 Brick Rowhouse - Philadelphia

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

SouthernLady wrote:Ohhhh, Corsetiere!!! I am so jealous, and I am proud to say it! :-)

Those covers are so beautiful! Lucky you!! I can't wait to see what they will look like once you put something on them to bring out the detail.

JacquieJet, back in the day that these were used, chimneys didn't have dampers. That meant the heat went out the chimney in the winter and winds and such would blow trash into the room when the fireplace wasn't in use. They are a lovely alternative to shoving old newspaper into the top of the fireplace to cut the drafts out. In my house, I have the newspaper method because I haven't been as fortunate as Corsetiere. ;-)

As for the lead paint, I used to eat paint chips as a kid off my grandparents' porch door. Tasted like almonds. I'm still here! :P

Thanks, everyone! Yes I am hoping the summer covers will also keep out visitors like the bat that flew down recently! ha ha!

SouthernLady, somewhere there is a worker at the Ohio Department of Health whose ears are burning. lol!