what date would you put on this console table?

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Mick_VT

what date would you put on this console table?

Post by Mick_VT »

To me it is screaming 1900-1910, but maybe because that is what I want it to be? ;)
Attachments
Messages Image(2491710314).png
Messages Image(2491710314).png (1.52 MiB) Viewed 468 times
Mick...

Gothichome

Re: what date would you put on this console table?

Post by Gothichome »

Mick, my thoughts. Late (really late) Victorian into early Edwardian. The style looks to be a revival item trying to look Georgian. I say this because, the back legs have that formal classical feel as does the shape. The front cabriole legs with the scrolls to my eye are trying to look Queen ann'ish. And in the pic it looks to be fumed oak, a staple of turn of the century furniture. I could be totally wrong of course, could be a high end modern interpretation, with out looking at the construction. What ever it is I bet it was expensive when new.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Thanks GH, it is definitely not a modern reproduction, though it appears in great shape. I have not seen it in person (yet) so do not know if it has been refinished, but if it has it's been competently done. Currently in negotiations with the dealer price wise... so fingers crossed
Mick...

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I'd say that's about right. Quarter sawn oak and what looks like a mix of Queen Anne and Neoclassical styling puts it right at about the turn of the 20th Century. I wouldn't say it's any older than the very late 1890s and probably no newer than the 1910s.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

my guess and it is purely a guess is 1930's
My only reasoning is that the combination of styles in the legs is anything but traditional, they were breaking tradition by mixing different styles in one piece. - to me it's art deco, intentionally combining circles and squares in odd ways. I dont; feel like either of the leg styles match the top or each other at all and It was almost like the artist was bucking tradition to gain shock appeal.

If you see it in person dont' forget to look underneath , there could be notes or a stamp or even the makers name. It has a drawer so you could take that out and flip over as well. the joinery on the drawer and how the bottom is put in might give more clues than only the legs. I suspect repro if the dovetails aren't hand cut or if you see wood that is lighter than it should be for it's age. close examination should reveal signs of wood shrinkage that at least indicate that it's old. you might see some screw holes with screws inset holding the rails to the top. maybe that would indicate newer , whereas glue blocks in that area and no screws used might indicate an older date? is the drawer bottom captive or can it slide out the back if you take one screw out? are the back corners of the drawer dovetailed? do those dovetails mirror the front ones or are they slightly different in size? Is the drawer bottom plywood? how the drawer is constructed might indicate the level of craftsmanship the maker had. they did repro things , even in the 50's.. though it's probably older.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Agreed a price! Driving to PA on Thursday afternoon to pick it up... then the dining room project will officially come to a close (for now)

More pics here while the dealer still has them posted: http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/sho ... 0&format=0
Mick...

phil

Post by phil »

congradulations mick. I'm probably quite wrong on the age. maybe Al would have the best idea. Note how thick the veneer is on the drawer front ? I guess they bent it around a wood form underneath to get the curve too.

note how the back legs are fit. It looks like maybe there was a repair done there , why else would there be such difference in the joinery from one side to the other? it makes me wonder if they lowered the piece to join a broken leg back in? I couldn't see that difference int he dovetail or whatever it is being factory, it's too different. it doesn't really detract it is just interesting.

the dovetails look hand made. the tails take up more than what seems normal. It looks like someone put a nail there at some point , maybe it started breaking away?

it's a beautiful piece. I can't really tell the dimensions too well. it might be a lot larger than I first assumed?

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

The joinery difference on the back is indeed intriguing. Maybe I will be able to see more clearly what happened when I see the piece in person. The dealer claims the table is "custom built" and handmade. I'm not so sure I have a feeling that maybe it was repaired in some way, or perhaps modified from a factory piece... I mused on if perhaps this is actually half of what was once a full sized table, modified to be a console or hall table. Maybe the other half was treated in the same way and a pair was made... questions that are likely lost to time
Mick...

phil

Post by phil »

I'm wondering if maybe the front legs are off a different piece? when you see in person you should be able to have a closer look. I couldn't see someone with the skills to build that table let that difference in joinery show.

I keep seeing free pianos on Craigslist. some are really old and I keep thinking of picking one up, then I think about how badly I really want to start taking apart pianos in the back yard. I'd be full of good intention for all the parts. I doubt that's what it is but usually they come with two really ornate legs that could lend themselves to something creative.

If the front legs are off another piece maybe they rejoined the back ones to make the height match? I'm just guessing.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I'm actually thinking the opposite - that the front legs are original, and the back ones may be part of a custom modification e.g. being split from a full table as described above. If this was the case I believe it was done when the table was new, or near new
Mick...