what date would you put on this console table?

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: what date would you put on this console table?

Post by phil »

They do appear to be similar oak, so my thoughts are purely speculative. I noticed the screws on the back are darkened but that could be toner.
I found a pair of legs for you ;-) even comes with a free stool, see what I mean? the shape is even sort of close.
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/zip/6134840939.html

It's funny when people post pics of things and are often unaware of their reflection. I found a really funny one of a guy that tried to sell his kettle and took pics of it in his underwear ;-)

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mick, I too believe this to be an honest untouched antique, and a very expensive one when new to boot. The colour of the wood at the back is just what I would look for, along with the fancy joinery. The cabriolet legs look to be manufactured out of one piece of wood, just think of the waste in making that, lesser grade furniture would have that scrole applied, not carved. It does look like it once had a back board at one time though. Well done.
I certainly hope, Al, Casey, or one of the other fine carpenters comment.

phil

Post by phil »

Yes others might have better insight. My dad was a joiner who apprenticed under an old Englishman that made reproductions of English furniture in the 50's and those guys weren't cheap with the screws. it wasn't cost. It was a matter of professional pride to follow traditions in joinery that date back further than screws and to use those skills to avoid their use when unnecessary. Legs may have used screws to make it so they could break down for shipping. a skirt board would hide them. often the backs of things were unfinished and quite rough. a skirt board would have captivated the screws so they couldn't be accessed. if they were embedded like that then they could have just used dowels or other means.. my opinion is it never had a skirt board as it was intended to be the back of the piece and probably left unfinished. It could be original. maybe a screw could be examined to see how old it looks? following tradition I don't think they normally finished the outside of drawers, just a little wax because shellac can cause them to stick but that probably isn't enough evidence to be definitive. closer examination might show if those are bright shiny screws with a brown finish or if they are actually old screws?

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I got the piece home, it definitely all looks old to me. There are some not very professional repairs underneath to tighten some things up, but they are reasonably well executed (even if they did employ what look like drywall screws :roll: ) Well enough that I feel no inclination to meddle and redo them. The screws on the backs of the legs look old, as do the legs themselves. I can see no evidence of old repairs etc. that might explain the mismatched dovetails on those legs. The only thing I can see is a knot in the deal superstructure that would fall right where the shorter dovetail would go if it were longer... that might explain it. The front legs are massive and beautifully carved from single pieces of wood (not applique, not wood laminated together) they are quite something to behold!
Attachments
IMG_6731.JPG
IMG_6731.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 526 times
IMG_6732.JPG
IMG_6732.JPG (847.15 KiB) Viewed 526 times
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mick, that table looks great in place, now all you need to find is a large antique silvered mirror to fill the wall space.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:Mick, that table looks great in place, now all you need to find is a large antique silvered mirror to fill the wall space.

That would look nice I agree, but what I have planned for there is currently at my local frame shop. I have an old barge plan (like a blueprint but not in blue), the exact details are lost to time but I believe my father bought it (though it is possible I may have when I was a teenager). The plan represents a shared interest and passion we had back then. My father passed over twenty years ago now so this has great sentimental value. I am glad to finally be getting it framed, it had sat in a drawer for far too long
Mick...

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

That table looks wonderful there - I love the contrast of the colors of the wood with your green wall.

And yes, those legs are stunning. I'm not sure I would have ever noticed they were made from a single piece if it hadn't been pointed out. Remarkable.

phil

Post by phil »

it looks great Mick. I bet you are the only kid on the street to have a table like that one ;-)