Gettysburg Antiques?

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
WildGeeseLn
Knows the area

Gettysburg Antiques?

Post by WildGeeseLn »

Hi everyone,
I know a lot of you (or at least some) are in the Gettysburg area, so this is a question for you! I live 30min away from Gettysburg and have a friend from DC coming to visit and go antiquing in Gettysburg. I only know of civil-war focused antique shops in Gettysburg and the Antiques Emporium in Emmetsburg. She is looking for more home/country antiques (old general store scale, plates, furniture etc.). Anyone have recommendations in the Gettysburg/Emmetsburg area? I don't know if we want to drive as far as New Oxford.

Thanks!

phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: Gettysburg Antiques?

Post by phil »

Sounds fun! I wanna come but I have to stay home and besides I can see myself trying to board a plane with a massive pile of architectural antiques that I just couldn't bear to let go of ;-) can't wait for pics of the "loot"

Olson185
Been here a good while

Post by Olson185 »

A bit off-topic:
Last Summer, I saw an episode of "American Pickers" shot in/around Gettysburg, PA. If one does a web search "American Pickers Gettysburg" a nice list will come up. Unfortunately, it's all Civil War related.

During my first trip to Gettysburg (been there a few times) our battlefield tour bus operator stopped a jogger and introduced her to us as Mamie Eisenhower's personal assistant/nurse/maid. Being a WWII buff, I thought that was kind of prophetic that there'd be an Eisenhower-Gettysburg connection. BTW, the assistant was really quite attractive, too.
~James

Fourth generation in a family of artists, engineers, architects, woodworkers, and metalworkers. Mine is a family of Viking craftsmen. What we can't create, we pillage, and there's nothing we can't create. But, sometimes, we pillage anyway.

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

I am going to be paying attention to this thread. My sister and I have talked about making a trip up to Gettysburg this fall. Don't know that we will, but we would like to. I have been, but she has not. Our third-great-grandfather, Reuben Henderson Bennett, fought with the "Danbury Blues", the 53rd North Carolina Infantry, Company H. He was shot near the knee on Cemetery Ridge, taken as a POW to De Camp General Hospital on David's Island in New Rochelle, New York, freed in a prisoner exchange, then rejoined and continued with his unit until their surrender at Appomattox Court House. He got himself back home to the area of Mt. Airy, North Carolina, and made sure at every opportunity to let everyone know what those "dirty Yankees" did to his leg, according to family stories. :character-oldtimer:
Last edited by SouthernLady on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

SouthernLady wrote:I am going to be paying attention to this thread. My sister and I have talked about making a trip up to Gettysburg this fall. Don't know that we will, but we would like to. I have been, but she has not. Our third-great-grandfather, Reuben Henderson Bennett, fought with the "Danbury Blues", the 53rd North Carolina Infantry, Company H. He was shot near the knee on Cemetery Ridge.

A former owner of my house was in the 16th VT who provided reinforcements along Cemetery Ridge at Gettysburg! :character-oldtimer:
Mick...

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

Mick_VT wrote:A former owner of my house was in the 16th VT who provided reinforcements along Cemetery Ridge at Gettysburg! :character-oldtimer:

Wow, that's neat! He better not have shot my great-great-great-grandpappy!! ;-)