probable MCM office chair

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

probable MCM office chair

Post by Lily left the valley »

So I found this marvelous chair at my favorite 2nd hand shop.
It might not look like much at first, but looks are definitely deceiving.
(Please don't mind my fuzzy carpet. Belt broke on our vacuum, can't find our spare.)
So far, I cannot find a maker's mark or plate. The casters are Shepherd though. Stamped right on them.

When we took the pictures, I realized not only is the current fabric a re-upholstery job, they did it over at least some of the old. So after we close, I'll have more time to get the outer layer off and see what's underneath.

I did some GIS attempts to try to verify time period. It's definitely near the MCM era. After a lot more searching, I started to see a trend where it more resembled various Gunlockes than anything.

However, I do live in Chair City. It's possible that someone took a Gunlocke design and made a variant of their own too. This town used to be filled with craftsfolk. For instance, I also have a Heywood-Wakefield looking piece I picked up curbside that is awfully darn close to a piece they didn't make as often, but it has no HW eagle mark.

There was another chair I found in my image search where the wheel base was almost a dead ringer except mine are more triangular and the arm rests are different. I put images of that and two Gunlockes (one for clearer view of back style from the side, one is the first Gunlocke I found so far that looks closest to mine) in a new project subfolder I've made for this chair in my gallery here. There are lots more pics there of the details I can see so far. If I made the text notes on the images too small, let me know. I have a pretty big monitor, but if the images auto size for smaller screens, they might be too hard to read.

So what do folks think about the possible time period and maker?

I can't wait to fix this lovely up. It is so comfy to sit in, even curled up.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

1918ColonialRevival
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: probable MCM office chair

Post by 1918ColonialRevival »

I'd guess it's from the 1960s. Not sure who manufactured it.

The engineering building at the college I went to had similar chairs in a conference room that were original to the building. The cornerstone of the building read 1966. That's not to say that chairs like this weren't made before or after that date.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: probable MCM office chair

Post by Lily left the valley »

1918ColonialRevival wrote:I'd guess it's from the 1960s. Not sure who manufactured it.

The engineering building at the college I went to had similar chairs in a conference room that were original to the building. The cornerstone of the building read 1966. That's not to say that chairs like this weren't made before or after that date.

That's good to know. Even if it is 1966, structurally speaking it's not in bad shape for a fifty year old chair. All of the movement mechanisms work well, there's no evidence of rust, and there's barely any wiggle at all in the armrests unless I am really trying. (Meaning, not just a lean with your weight when seated try, but actually grab them and give 'em a firm test.)

I'm thinking when I can see better what that blue bit of the upholstery is, and if there's even something under that, I might be able to date it a bit better that way too.

Thank you for the info. :thumbup:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.