A special find!

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: A special find!

Post by Lily left the valley »

Mick_VT wrote:
Lily left the valley wrote:Definitely a neat find. The length of that really has me curious as to what it was intentionally built for then.

I wonder if the folks you were bidding against had any plans to use the tool, or just wanted to add it to a collection.

It was likely intended to be used when framing, but it's a handy size for other times when you might want a deep mortise. My hunch is that they other bidders were likely collectors, there was one who wanted it really bad (but not as bad as me)

Ah ha! That makes sense to me. My brain was thinking an alternate to drilling out holes for lighting like on the starting newels of stairs (or table lamp bases with electrickery coming into more homes). [I love that word, by the way, and will use it for a long time to come.]

When I was thinking that, I was also realizing I have no idea when the hand drills I'm more accustomed to (in the true hand operated sense) came into being, as opposed to drilling with branch and sinew/fiber rope.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Lily, since you asked about how vintage tools were made check out he PBS show
http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/home/
Used to watch him as part of my Sunday TV time. Along with New Yanky Workshop and This Old House. At least till it got stupid.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Gothichome wrote:Lily, since you asked about how vintage tools were made check out he PBS show
http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/home/
Used to watch him as part of my Sunday TV time. Along with New Yanky Workshop and This Old House. At least till it got stupid.

Thanks, Gothic. Bookmarked that for future. I think I've seen him on some youtube videos, come to think on it.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I am imagining that as being a lathe tool used to part off but I could be completely incorrect. It would be heat treated to be hard near the cutting edge but not the whole shank or that would make it too brittle. If I has been sharpened enough to get past the hardeend section its probably possible to re- harden the last inch or so. My guess is that it hasn't been used that much as it is kind of a specialty tool, not the first you'd reach for. I think if you had a big wood lathe you'd find it useful in making bowls and such. It is freakishly long.. maybe it was used for timber framing, even lathe tools aren't' usually that long but they do use long chisels.

Deb
Knows the back streets

Post by Deb »

What a wonderful find! Did you just happen upon it, or was it something you were looking for? Either way, great find and I am SO happy that you won the bidding!!

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Deb wrote:What a wonderful find! Did you just happen upon it, or was it something you were looking for? Either way, great find and I am SO happy that you won the bidding!!

I have saved searches on ebay for things from my town, or related to my historical interests, this came up as part of that. The search has probably been in place for a decade now, and only within the past year has it turned up anything to do with JLH
Mick...

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Keep looking right now. I have observed a strange phenomena of there being none of the thing I have been searching for, for long spells of time, then suddenly two or three will get posted by different sellers at the same time.

It feels great when you finally get the thing

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Mick_VT wrote:
Deb wrote:What a wonderful find! Did you just happen upon it, or was it something you were looking for? Either way, great find and I am SO happy that you won the bidding!!

I have saved searches on ebay for things from my town, or related to my historical interests, this came up as part of that. The search has probably been in place for a decade now, and only within the past year has it turned up anything to do with JLH

setting saved searches with defined search parameters is a great idea. Ive got a rare old 10 inch reel to reel player and I saved a search for "bradmatic" since it was an unusual word it sat there a few years and generated a chance to buy some NIB tape heads. they are huge ones and not valuable to anyone else since they were so rare. Good idea to specify area, some things go on there as local pickup only. Maybe that would work for those nice radiators in the antiques section.