The devil is in the details, or not.

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Gothichome

Re: The devil is in the details, or not.

Post by Gothichome »

So all it took was a hint, yes it is in fact a spool or bobbin tree (holder). I bought it as bit of a gift to upper management. She is in to the needle crafts. It is Victorian brass and is tall as these things go. It is missing it’s pin cushion. I have been informed it was used by women who do needle point, cross stitch, ect. rather than sewing. That’s why all the pegs.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

phil wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:57 pm I'm with James on the thread spool stand, I thought maybe an organizer for knitting needles but that would look silly.

I keep thinking it would be fun for someone with a big old house to host people in a theme. so it might look like a bed and breakfast but with no cell phones or other modern devices. maybe without power. I think many would love a getaway like that without it catering to any specific religion. in normal life everyone is so busy with technology they never really relax in quite the same way. They could heat with fire, use old washing methods, maybe have a wood workshop with only hand tools. a chance to churn butter, make bread, maybe forget what time it was in the intentional absence of a clock.
Phill, I to have had that thought, we do come close though when we have guests over for a supper. Just use the candles and the little chandelier bulb I have in the dinner room chandelier. I suppose if there was a Victorian club or a group of like minded folks, it would not be hard to organize. You could each take a turn going to each other’s home.
Maybe the folks in the District have such a thing. We used to have a couple of regular posters who were into period events. Did the whole dress to period thing, Lisa Scenic comes to mind.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I think we have a medieval society that does a lot of roleplay adventures. I knew an archer and he made his own bows. They all take on some sort of persona. It seems to attract some eccentric people, some get into making battle gear and things like that and they organize events.
when we go up to our summer place, its by the lake and so peaceful. we have power and internet but we tend to have a release from all the media and advertising. this year I'll plan to get up there more , last couple of years I was stuck doing my roofing. looking forward to not hearing the sounds of the city. Its so peaceful there and we get used to the ambient noise until I go there and wake up and all you hear is birds by the water, the loons..

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

For those who are interested I have found another Baxter miniature print. Like the other one of the Crystal palace I posted a few pages back.
This image is about 1x2 inches and only six colours.
Here is the blow up from the Detroit museum

And as usual a lot of detail for such a small print, all hand

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Gothichome wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:02 am{snip}And as usual a lot of detail for such a small print, all hand
So they run the print, then add details over the colors?

Back to the item a few posts up, at first glance I was thinking of those decorative spinners that turn from candle flame, then looked closer and I realized they weren't candles. It definitely does make sense that it was used for stitchery work of various types. Wonderful find!
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Lily, this is seven (in this case) separate pressings.

Lily left the valley

Post by Lily left the valley »

Gothichome wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:04 amLily, this is seven (in this case) separate pressings.
That makes more sense.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well another day out antiquing it’s been a while since I last posted about my antique finds so I thought I would post this. Another victorian Bristol glass vase. Upper management just rolled here eyes🙄.
This one has an unpolished pontil so suspect pre 1900’s.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Now why would UM roll her eyes? Everyone knows one can't have too much Bristol glass! The style of painting reminds me of barkcloth fabrics from the 1940s and 50s.

Here is a detail that's in the making for Thornewood, if I may. I've been meeting with a stained glass artist and working on a design for the bottom sash in the small dining room window next to the fireplace.

This is a rough mock-up - a photo of a color copy of a photo that was cut and pasted, so please forgive the quality (or lack thereof). I'm thinking that I'd like to repeat the design but in textured clear glass for the serving pantry. These windows are side by side facing east so they get nice morning sun and the beveled glass cluster in the center would create a prismatic effect in the room.

I'm hoping the design is simple enough to be harmonious with a Craftsman-style interior. There will be some color changes.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James I think that’s perfect for your home. Can both be seen at the same time from the inside?