The devil is in the details, or not.

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Al F. Furnituremaker
Stalwart

Re: The devil is in the details, or not.

Post by Al F. Furnituremaker »

Cool, I had a piece in the shop a few weeks ago (radio cabinet with a drawer in the very bottom) that used a similar concept. It had a spring steel pieces that rubbed against the drawer side to keep it centered.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:Thanks, it was a matter of biting the bullet now or hope we find another set as nice in the future at the same cost. As mentioned it has been years that we have been looking.
Al, took this pic with all you fine carpenters in mind.
This is one of the draw slides/glides each draw has a pair. They make the draws slide effortlessly with no side jamming. There is a brass spring loaded pivot. Have any of you seen a set up like this in the past?
This is the stamping, patented 1859, also just noticed a date of 1860. Hummm, wonder if this set was built then rather than 1868.

http://www.google.com/patents/US27247

Looks like your furniture maker was from Roxbury, Massachusetts.
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Thanks Mick, that's some good sluething. Gives me a place to start.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mick_VT wrote:Gothic, whenever I see that panelling now I cant help but imagine it all stripped and refinished in the three tone. Was it all that way originally do you know?

Mick, you've asked about this before and I keep forgetting to respond ( sorry about that) yes, I have done some scattered paint stripping in inconspicuous areas and yes it does seem to follow the three stain pattern as the rest of the home. Being the dinning room, usually one of the most important rooms in the home, I was expecting some thing a little different. But allas we will just have to live with the three colour stain treatment. :doh:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

New wash stand for Gothichome
We picked this up a while ago at an antique fair. Nice little Eastlake item. It sits in the yellow room along side the iron bed. (One of the spare rooms)
Only issue is the colour, hard to match up, all our other eastlake items other than the dinning room are dark stained.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

funny the way they put the brakets on top. It doesn't look like they were needed to hold up the back splash thing. They could have been behind if the strength was needed. I'd just accept the color, yea it's different from the other pieces, oh well. it's too old to change now ;-) it's a pretty close match to the style of my kitchen table.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Phill, I have only seen one set (or noticed) in this colour. It was at a local Calgary auction. A single bed, night stand and a small set of drawers. It was used as props in the movie Legends Of the Fall. Apparently set up as Brad Pitts bed room. It was promoted by the auction house as an opportunity to ' sleep in Bradds Pitts bed'. A witty promotion to bring in the women bidders.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

http://hodginshalls.hibid.com/lot/13489 ... f=lot-list
Brad Pitts bed. Forgot about the painting work.

Sinoed
Knows the area

Post by Sinoed »

The bedroom suite you purchased is absolutely gorgeous. It fits your home perfectly. :thumbup:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Singed, thanks. Some times you just get lucky.