The devil is in the details, or not.

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Gothichome

Re: The devil is in the details, or not.

Post by Gothichome »

Corsetiere, yes it is a very nice shade. I would like to try one of those yellowish LED's in it some time in the future. I think the chandelier bulb is a bit to harsh for the shade. It would give it more of a soft oil flame colour look.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:Corsetiere, yes it is a very nice shade. I would like to try one of those yellowish LED's in it some time in the future. I think the chandelier bulb is a bit to harsh for the shade. It would give it more of a soft oil flame colour look.

I have found carbon filament bulbs give the right color temp in converted oil lamps. Even the cheaper ones from the likes of home despot
Mick...

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Gothichome wrote:Corsetiere, yes it is a very nice shade. I would like to try one of those yellowish LED's in it some time in the future. I think the chandelier bulb is a bit to harsh for the shade. It would give it more of a soft oil flame colour look.

I hope you have some irises growing in your yard to match the shade. :D

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Upper management was at an antique fair a couple weeks ago. Found these canisters. They would have been an extra cost option or add on to our Chatham cabinet.
This is the cabinet they would have been ordered with.
This kitchen cabinet was manufactured just down the road from Gothichome a hundred and twenty years ago, as were the canisters.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (51.7 KiB) Viewed 5980 times
Here is the period add for our kitchen cabinet, a little hard to see but if you squint you can just make out a set of the canisters.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

This is the very first proper period lamp we bought for the home. Dates from the last quarter of the 1800's. It is Flemish, Has a majolica font and centre draft burner. The framing holds nine candles all held up with Griffins. We bought it with out the shade. Do to the odd size of the shade ring (European size, is larger than than what's common here) I had to import it from Belgium. The story we got when we bought it was that it came from a large home in Europe, made its way to Canada via a container lot of antiques.
As with most of our lamps, I just dropped a 25W chandelier bulb down the chimney.

matchbookhouse
Been here a while

Post by matchbookhouse »

I agree; that bookcase is da bomb! I'll be looking for one as soon as I move my "new" old bed (ca 1870's) into the second bedroom. I'll have the wall space available in the dining room then. Now I just have to sell all the antique beds I have in storage - I think there's 12 or so. It's the curse of an indecisive mind, lol.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Thought I'd post a pic of a pic. Bought this oil picture a while back at auction, it is an example of Victorian factory art.
This would have originally been sold through a department store. It is a generic English landscape. To purchase this you would just order it up by number. An artist would paint it up from a master picture. They would get a small commission for each picture done. These were generally sold a department store price, so not expensive.
Here is the catalogue disription from one of my Victorian catalogue books. Not the same picture but close enough to demonstrate the genericness of this type of art.
A lot of lower and middle class Victorian homes would of had one or two of these just as cheap art to gussy up a wall.

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

That is one beautiful bookcase!
Diane

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Another period treasure. This a Sheffield plate bud vase. The glass vases are realy thin mouth blown and have some very detailed etching. It dates from about 1870 and is hall marked. The silver mounts for the glass have the same pattern as the glass cut into them. A small boarder of sunflowers on the edge of the mounts squarely puts it in the aestetic period.