The devil is in the details, or not.

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: The devil is in the details, or not.

Post by Manalto »

They look good and have an interesting story behind them.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Manalto, other than the wonky position of the images they did come out looking not to bad. I tried to get a local frame shop to mount the images but they didn’t want to deal with fragility and semi rarety of the images. He did offer some advice and gave me the proper archival mounting boards and corners to mount for free. They frames I got for five bucks each at an auction, both have wavy glass by the way, a bonus in my view.
On they same subject, was binge watching Antiques Road Show (BBC). And a whole folio of them showed up, only in larger form and on paper, same format images in pairs, of the different casts. Being on paper they were from the time of the British East India Company.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Just as an aside, the first time I heard the expression that is the title of this thread, it was, "God is in the details." It was quite some time before I heard "the devil" version. The meanings, to me, are different; that beauty is accomplished through careful attention to detail (God) - or - the struggle to get details right can bedevil us.

The Grammarist doesn't have a whole lot to say about the two expressions:
http://grammarist.com/words/devil-is-in ... he-detail/

Although the "God" version is older, now I hear it said, "the devil is in the details" exclusively.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I’ve only heard the devil version, so was never aware of another. Can’t say that any more.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Gothichome wrote:I’ve only heard the devil version, so was never aware of another. Can’t say that any more.

Same here. Never heard of the "god" version. Also doesn't have the same ring to it.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

hopefully not an insult to anyone religious but it's been a running joke in our family, You know when you do something like perfect drywall finishing behind where the baseboards will go, we'd say god can see it , because god sees everywhere evidently ;-) I too have only heard "the devil is in the details"

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Folks, we just celebrated our 38th annaversery. So being the ever so thoughtful working class stiff I bought upper management a gift.
A bit new for Gothichome, being a 1914 version. But I am a kind harted sole, I would never deny the modern conveniences.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Congratulations on the anniversary! (We just had our 36th in May.) Condolences on your upcoming divorce. :D

So does it work?
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

AWWH, does it work? not very well, a bugger of a work out. More work in making it work than the work it actually does. Really a very impractical gadget. I did manage to avoid making our 38th our last. I bought her a very Victorian emerald and stirling bracelet.
This is what she bought for me. A very eastlake wall shelf in walnut.
I see more Victorian clutter in my future.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Since I've been back in a house with a functioning TV, I've been paying more attention to the Victorian interiors in old movies. You could call them clutter, I suppose, but MGM sure did a good job of creating warmth and appeal for those spaces.

You both did a fine job of finding gifts that contribute to the character of your beautiful home.

Happy anniversary!