The devil is in the details, or not.

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Gothichome

Re: The devil is in the details, or not.

Post by Gothichome »

James, first off, how did you get to Cuba 25 years ago? Via a second country I bet. We need to get more candles as you can see by the candelabra we are out of them. We actually need the candles in the dinning room, we have no power in there other than a little chandelier bulb I dropped into the ceiling light.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

More period furniture for Gothichome. Spotted this renaissance revival bed room suite for cheap on Facebook marketplace. Just had to have it.

Had some minor repairs to do on it, mostly little bits of trim needed glueing . The dresser, I have to get some proper ebony pulls, Some one in their great wisdom replaced the originals with acrylic knobs. But that’s easy enough to do.
It’s not as fancy as the one we bought a couple of years ago and shorter at only 8 feet.
I may complain about the prices of Victorian but it on occasion works to our favour.
It resides in the guest bedroom.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

you might have to keep the bedroom door locked to keep all the women out ;-) wow what a nice bed ! I'ts beautiful !

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Phill, I don’t get many women chasing me these days so I don’t need a safe room to lock them out. If I did get women chasing me she probably has bad eye sight or it’s upper management with a broom, or worse, the honey-do list. :lol:

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

That bedroom set design detail gives me a softer, comforting stately feel versus some of the more intricately ornate types. Both are lovely in their own ways--just wanted to point out the difference in my "response" to them I guess? Wonderful finds. :thumbup:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Handsome bedroom furniture, Ron. It suits your house beautifully. I also like the blanket/quilt stand at the foot of the bed; it's a great convenience in the spring and fall (or winter on the Gulf Coast) when the temperature tends to fluctuate widely. The only ones I've found have been rickety. You're going to need a beautiful quilt (I suggest a 'crazy') to drape over it. Swing by my place in Connecticut and I'll fix you up with a nice old sewing machine. :dance:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Some thing old but new for Gothichome. Upper management and I finally got to go antiquing. Found this not so little item for cheap.
I know what it is but do you? :think:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

No guesses? Or has it stumped every one I figured some one keen on needle crafts would know.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Thread stand?

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I'm with James on the thread spool stand, I thought maybe an organizer for knitting needles but that would look silly.

I keep thinking it would be fun for someone with a big old house to host people in a theme. so it might look like a bed and breakfast but with no cell phones or other modern devices. maybe without power. I think many would love a getaway like that without it catering to any specific religion. in normal life everyone is so busy with technology they never really relax in quite the same way. They could heat with fire, use old washing methods, maybe have a wood workshop with only hand tools. a chance to churn butter, make bread, maybe forget what time it was in the intentional absence of a clock.