The devil is in the details, or not.

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Mick_VT

Re: The devil is in the details, or not.

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:We are using for pots and pans that rarely get used. The wine rack for the ice side Is a great idea. With the rite wire wine rack I could easily fit a dozen of the finest of cheap wines in there.

I used one of those kits with the dowels and sticks
Mick...

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Gothic, the etagere is absolutely gorgeous.

Loved the icebox too!
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Lily, thanks. We looked at it hard, well for almost a full minute. Didn't realy need another and it is a bit out of style for the furnishings in the front parlour, but it is unique, we bought it any way. For the price, I don't think we could realy have gone wrong.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Gothichome wrote:You can't get to much more aestetic movement than this hand painted folding eastlake blind.

That screen! :romance-heartsthree:

I mean, you had to buy it, there was no other choice!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Corcetiere! You are absolutely correct. We were antiquing on an out of town trip when we spotted it. It was in there bargon basement, if you can believe it. The store was heavy on county furnature from Quebec (think antique pine and original milk paint) and other places, this was out of thier niche. Still it wasn't a bargon, but were would you find another. As you mentioned, there was no other choice.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

Wow! Nice find! If you ever get tired of it, you can send it my way. She'd look great next to this figural newel post lamp I got last year! :D

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ok, don't know what we will do with these yet. But for a whole thirty five loonies I just had to buy.
IMG_0242.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 552 times

Very Victorian pressed and hand painted tiles. Got ten of them. Original thought was for a surround for the front fireplace, but they are now redundant for that project. We may just incorporate into the bathroom restoration. When ever that may be.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Once again folks we were out of town for Christmas. Got a solid day in antiquing. And just look what we found.
IMG_0256.JPG
IMG_0256.JPG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 502 times

I was happy with this at the time we found this majolica jardenare, most defiantly early Edwardian or realy, realy late Victorian. Made in England. Stands just above knee hight. From this same antique store we got a lead for a realy out of the way antique fellow who sells to the trade and occasionally to others if they can find him. And trust me he realy was off the beaten path. After trecking down the long curvey road this is what we found.
IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0255.JPG (1.46 MiB) Viewed 502 times

I date it from between 1885 no later than 1890 using the makers mark. Made in Germany, hand thrown and underglaze painted buy a company called Melham pottery. The story we got is, it came out of a grand railroad hotel in the area. I would suspect it had a mate at one time. Any how, it stand over waist hight and is assembled in three sections. I have never seen one this fancy or as tall, ever. Once again just had to buy it. The cost of the little one was cheap in my view, the cost of the latter was not, but I still think I got a great deal. We also bought a peice of bedroom furnature from him. Some times if you look at enough junk you find a treasure.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Wow. Just...wow. I say this having attended an undergrad where it is a sea of ceramics (both tech and art.)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

It is a thing of beauty isn't it. It does have an issue though, it has a nasty amateur crack repair on the back side of the pot. In time we will get that dealt with by a professional. Now we need to buy an aspidistra to fill it. Always some thing eh!