The devil is in the details, or not.

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Gothichome

Re: The devil is in the details, or not.

Post by Gothichome »

Well folks, more Victorian clutter. Was enticed once again back into the shop of the shady pawn broker I mentioned further back in this thread.psst,psst he once again said, want to by an antique? Is it dusty? I asked. Well yes,he said. Dam hooked again.
This is a Chinese Rose Medalion plate in the Canton pattern. Dates any were from real early 1800 to about 1880 (preMcKinnley act) these were manufactured specifically for the European and N American market. Generally shipped as Ballist on the clipper ships. The value on this style are all over the place, I bought if at the bottom end of retail price.
Another bit of Victorian clutter, is this small pitcher. (Mick would recall seeing this)
This is Swansey wear. Or more commonly known as gaudy welsh. This was also manufactured pre Mckinley act. So older than 1880's. This was decorated as cottage work done by the lower working class stay at home women probably helped by the young children, bought this today realy, realy cheap defiantly well below value.
Neither these pieces wold have been used by the Victorians as decoration but were practical every day stuff,

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ok, I have two choices, get a job or stop antiquing. Just bought this little Moser (I hope) Art Neuvou vase. Not sure when it would have been made but dought it would much past 1910,

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SouthernLady »

Gothichome wrote:Mick. I am pretty sure all my original lamps would look just fantastic with a flame going. The logical side of my brain knows they are safe. The illogical side is paranoid to light them. Silly eh! Down the road maybe I will, just not this week, or next.

I see a lamplight tour happening one Christmas... ;-) How pretty would that be!

I usually try to have an open house every Christmas for friends and family. They have requested a lamplight tour this Christmas. We shall see.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

OK folks, look what the upper management found while digging in her gardens.
It's a silver thimble (well that's obvious) on researching the hall marks it is stirling, made by a fellow in Exxeter England named Joseph Hinks and dates to 1841. She found it at the corner of the summer kitchen by the stoop. I can envision the lady of the house sitting in the evening sun sewing on the stoop, getting up with her sewing box not realizing her thimble was missing. This is now the oldest found item we have.

Duffy666
Knows the area

Post by Duffy666 »

Great find on the thimble and beautiful antiques! The Empress can not wait to start going to estate sales and antique shops. My wallet hurts just thinking about it. Lol
Another day on the correct side of the dirt.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Once again upper management and I were out antiquing look what we found.

You can't get to much more aestetic movement than this hand painted folding eastlake blind.
IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_0202.JPG (936.06 KiB) Viewed 325 times

On another trip to the Abberfoil antique fair this past weekend, this is what we found, a very Victorian brass and wrought iron plant stand.
IMG_0201.JPG
IMG_0201.JPG (931.36 KiB) Viewed 325 times

Now, I suggested to upper management that we didn't have the budget for these, but knowing better than to argue I gladly bipped my hand deeper into my pockets for cash. Next time I'll be monetarily stronger, I really will be, well maybe.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well, you know the problem with Victorian clutter is you need some thing to clutter. Just purchased this eterge.
Late Victorian bordering on art nouveau, mid grade furnature circa 1900 I think.
Same trip, we found this circa 1850 o-gee clock.
Beginning to dislike rainy days, can't work on the out side, inside work is for the winter, nothing to do but go antiquing.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Folks, antique shows will will be the death of us, well at least the bank account.
Just bought an ice box. We needed the extra storage space in the kitchen. This fit the bill to a tee.
IMG_0224.JPG
IMG_0224.JPG (1.38 MiB) Viewed 491 times

Hard to pin an age to it but I believe it is newer maybe 1920's rather than older. The box is unmolested and has only had a realy good clean up, that is the original finish. Interior is also in as good a shape as the exterior.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Nice Ice box- I use the old ice compartment mine as a mine cupboard - on the premise that the temp stays more constant in there than it would in a simple rack. The rest is storage for canned goods and similar
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

We are using for pots and pans that rarely get used. The wine rack for the ice side Is a great idea. With the rite wire wine rack I could easily fit a dozen of the finest of cheap wines in there.