The devil is in the details, or not.

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: The devil is in the details, or not.

Post by Manalto »

Fleetingly, when the swinging door to the pantry is half open. When it's completely open it covers the dining room window and when it's closed, you can't see into the pantry of course.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

So your not restrained by uniformity then. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

They'll both be visible from the outside, however, and this is the more active side of the house.

Dining-room window is first floor, immediately to the right of the chimney, and pantry window to its right.

I like the idea of repeating a pattern with different colors. The uniformity will be visible during the day, and the difference at night.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Upper management and I were at it again, spent a day at an antique fair about two hours drive away, as usual it was a fun day and the weather was perfect for an outdoor event, not to hot and a mild breeze under sunny skies. We found several items we just had to have, here is what might be the best! A mahogany topped carved occasional table.

Being that it is a better quality piece of unwanted Victorian furniture we got it cheap, well cheap compared what we have paid for less back in the day.
Ron

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Don't you love it when high quality attractive things are not trendy? Wonderful find and perfect for your house.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, yes I do. We also bought a matching pair of cranberry glass hallway oil lamps. Nothing extra special as far as quality or design other than a matching set. I have to de-butcher them and get them mounted in the up stairs hallway. Pictures when complete.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Another update, finally got the first of the two hall lamps up, what do you think? I de-electrified this one and now have working on its chains. It’s now on the ceiling hook. I need to find a proper font for this since it got separated when it was electrified.
This is the only medallion left with its original hook still installed so there never was power here.

The second lamp will replace a one electric light fixture at the other end of the hallway. I suspect that one was installed when the home was first electrified a century or so ago.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Got the second hall lamp installed this weekend.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

The beauty of Victorian oil lamps can some times amaze.
Here is a picture of the hall lamp above with a 40W led bulb. The original oil lamp would have been close to this brightness, but just look at the effect the shade has on the light it throws. We some times think of Victorians homes before electricity as being dark and dingy in the evening being lit only by oil and candles. But if you wanted to impress your evening guests what better way then to light the fancy ceiling lamps.
This I exactly what the Victorians would do.
Ron

Manalto

Post by Manalto »

Ron, that lamp is spectacular. What a mood it must create in a house with subdued (not gloomy!) lighting.

I just realized that I never posted photos of my windows made by the stained glass artist in Starkville, MS. I guess I was waiting to be finished with preparing and painting the trim but I got sidetracked by a failed washing machine, which prompted laundry room renovations. Planning to finish up painting in the kitchen and pantry next, so I can finally have those busy areas complete and fully functional. Anyway, here's the dining room window. It's small; bottom sash is only 14" X 20" and it's positioned with the sill about 5' off the floor.

The pantry window is the same size and height. It's above the sink.

Both windows are a mixture of new and antique glass that the artist had in her inventory.