The devil is in the details, or not.

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
phil
Has many leather bound books

Re: The devil is in the details, or not.

Post by phil »

the horn is probably more rare than the cylinder player. what a neat piece!
Il keep my eyes open for cylinders... a while back someone offered up a whole tray of them. I guess they aren't super rare but it would be neat to hear them.

I keep meaning to get a snap of my old Brunswick console phono. the TV and all sorts of stuff live on top of it right now. Maybe it can have a space where I can actually open the lid once my living room floor is done. Ive been meaning to make up a new crank for it since it's the one part I dont' have. It's not worth what an Edison is but it's still neat and old and fun to play with. The sound is pretty good for a purely mechanical device.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Phill, yes, lots of cylinders out there. I have half a dozen or so. I can by them here for $5 to $20 each depending on the quality. The signant horn is actually louder than I would of expected., no volume control you know.
We also have a stand up cabinet type disc player, probably from the late teens, several disc came with it including some really, really early Bing Crosby tunes. I crank both up on occasions just to keep the working from getting stiff.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Corsetière wrote:OH! That's a cool jardiniere! I can never find any for a reasonable price!

They are out there, some cheap, others not so much. The Dragon only cost me $200 Canuck bucks. Cheap in my mind. What puts it over the top from the ordinary is the applied dragons, puts it a bit out side of the normal, and to top it off none the dragons have lost their horns.
I think maybe ordinary folks aren’t Interested in this sort of stuff if it not faience or daulton or one of the other high end manufacturers.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Gothichome wrote:They are out there, some cheap, others not so much. The Dragon only cost me $200 Canuck bucks. Cheap in my mind. What puts it over the top from the ordinary is the applied dragons, puts it a bit out side of the normal, and to top it off none the dragons have lost their horns.
I think maybe ordinary folks aren’t Interested in this sort of stuff if it not faience or daulton or one of the other high end manufacturers.
I think stuff like that is awesome. I also know we are both klutzes. So anything that even looks remotely easy to tip over and easily breakable is something we'd really, really have to think about. I learned this lesson early on in our living together-ness.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Upper management cringes when were are out antiquing and I pick some thing up to look at. She to accuses me of being a klutz. The more expensive the item I handle the more she cringes. :eh:

Willa
Revered expert in almost everything

Post by Willa »

Gothichome wrote:She to accuses me of being a klutz. The more expensive the item I handle the more she cringes. :eh:

Museum putty, for in the home:

https://www.amazon.ca/Quakehold-99111-C ... B000FJU290

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Willa wrote:
Gothichome wrote:She to accuses me of being a klutz. The more expensive the item I handle the more she cringes. :eh:

Museum putty, for in the home:

https://www.amazon.ca/Quakehold-99111-C ... B000FJU290

:laughing-rollingyellow:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Upper management and I were out antiquing the other day, found a couple of items.
A set of eastlake door knobs and an eastlake clock shelf for the kitchen.

Got both for the thin side of a $50 Canuck bucks. Rarely do I get off so cheap while antiquing.

awomanwithahammer
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by awomanwithahammer »

Gothichome, I love your corner blocks. I've never seen a floral motif. And the doorknob is just spiffy!
Bonnie

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

A long while back may be three years ago I posted some pics of Company art. These are small paintings on wafer thin sheets of mica. Well I finally got them mounted.
These pictures would have been painted from about 1750 to about 1850. They were souvenirs brought back to Europe by people stationed in India and working for the VOC commonly referred to as the Dutch South India Company. Being back painted on really thin mica they are extremely fragile. They were sold in sets, usually a husband and wife grouping as seen in the bottom pic, the top pic has a miss matched set, they too would have had a mate.
Any how, I finally got to mounting them in picture frames, (had to do it my self and it shows unfortunately). The frames are period eastlake shadow frames circa 1870.
I think I will hang them in the front parlour or maybe the dinning room, haven’t decided.