The devil is in the details, or not.

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Gothichome

Re: The devil is in the details, or not.

Post by Gothichome »

Upper management has seen busy, found this drop leaf stick and ball table for the back parlour. We had been looking for some thing smaller as side table.
With leafs down its about 12 inches wide, it has been refinished. only down fall is the top has been verathained.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Thanks Al, I don't believe it was an expensive table when new and it wasn't expensive to buy now. I am not a big fan of plastic finishes on our furnature but I'm not so paranoid with it being used without coasters.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

it's a solid top so a few minutes with a sander, and a little hand work on the edges would get rid of the poly if you don't want it. . Good thing they didn't poly the carved portions.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Just thought I would post another of our period antiques.
This is a R J Horner eterge, circa 1890. This would have been bought by a person of means at the time, bought it at auction many years ago, it most defiantly was a considered buy on our part, but dam isn't it nice. On the top shelf, a hand painted Nippon bowle circa 1910' second shelf Aestetic Movement cabinet plate, about 1870. Sold to us as Chinesse export, but the mountain looks like Mt Fujii so may be it's Japanese. In front of the plate a set of German bisc place holders, time frame undetermined but suspect third quarter 1800,s Little cupboard on third shelf a Nipon chocolate set. Very bottom our 1901 English jardair. The figurines are all Daultons of mixed vintage.

Vala

Post by Vala »

Wow, just gorgeous!

StoneHouseGuy
Knows the area

Post by StoneHouseGuy »

You asked for clutter, here it is ... so much packed into our parlor I can't even begin to identify it for you. Ask questions if you dare ....

http://stoneshack.blogspot.com/2016/03/the-victorian-period-and-associated.html
Last edited by StoneHouseGuy on Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Stone house, jezz, I'm jealous now. You have a stuffed peacock, and stuffed quail under a dome. What a great collection of antique furnature, ebonised eastlake, and I would think in the upper end of quality. Looks like you found a matched set of shelves as well. The fold up chair, Huntzinger? All I can realy a say is wow. Well done.
On another note, have a look at the shape of this lamp, and compaier it with yours, looks like it could be blown by the same firm.
Almost bought this, but thought the rest of it, I had to fly it home. Last time I tried flying with a lamp didn't work out so well.

StoneHouseGuy
Knows the area

Post by StoneHouseGuy »

Thanks Gothichome. Those lamps are really similar. Mines French - which I found out the hard way when I tried to replace the non-working burner. It's 2 pieces: a base and a font, both blown, bristol-type glass. We light it on Winter weekends when we drink too much coffee and pretend it's 1880.

The Ebonized pieces are 25-years worth of collecting and I have only a few. That stuff is uncommon in the U.S. and, until recently, pretty well unliked. I think I bought every piece I ever have run into. The center table has a match in the Brooklyn Museum (lucky me, finding it in the reduced room of an antique mall, barely able to keep itself together, I disassembled, polished and reglued it back to health.)

The folding chair is tiny, not a Hunzinger, and ebonized faux bamboo. I have 2, both bought 10-years apart at the same outdoor antique market. I have a half-restored Hunzinger Rocker in the basement (dang, I need to get that done, too)

I think the secret to having great antiques is two-fold, with education being the crux. First, be determined to learn how to do your own proper and sensitive repairs and restore things. Educate yourself-READ as much as you can about technique, materials, and don't believe there is a magic fix - there isn't. And, second, focus your collecting on one period. Research the hell out of it. Find out what, who, where and stick to it. It results in a much more gratifying experience. My target date is 1880. All the clutter is there to create one big, amazing, genuine historic experience.

Visitors comment that my house is like a funeral home, or the Aadams Family, not realizing what a great compliment that is.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Stonehouse, seems we have the same strategy for antiques, we too have a goal date of 1880 or earlier. We (for the most part) go no newer than 1910.