The devil is in the details, or not.

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Gothichome

Re: The devil is in the details, or not.

Post by Gothichome »

phil wrote:Photobucket is the devil;) it took all the details away!

Ya, it doesn't look like Photobucket is going to change their tune. Starting to replace the pics.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

you could check with your internet provider to see if you get webspace with it.. You might be paying for it already if you do. a lot of people get it included and never use it. It's not to hard to upload and there is a little program called fast ftp (file transfer protocol) or there are other softwre makers filezilla is another. Then you can just drag and drop files and it uploads them to your webspace. If you have a real lot you can get server space. Mick might be able to advise on who is good of course there are thousands and it doesn't matter if you use one that is local. just as a comparison here is an example
https://portal.alwayswebhosting.com/

If you do it that way once it's set up no one plays with your files or tacks on ads. the problem with a lot of these free hosting services is that they want users to sign in to view photos and most readers won't have the patience or desire to do that so they will just hit the back button or close their browser once they see popups wanting log in info or ads that need to be closed and such. If you put it on your own webspace you won't have any of that nonsense and you can link to it at will. If you have webspace and want to run a website then you need to rent the host name Eg the historicdistrict .org or soinso.com or .ca or whatever.. that's about 15 bucks a year.
you can look up domains here to see if they are available or if you want to see who owns a website it will produce some info if you enter a valid domain name
https://www.whois.com/whois/

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Phil, thanks for the tip. I believe I also have storage on the cloud due to being an IPad user. Dammed if I know how to access it. If I really needed to I could figure it out l'm sure.

phil

Post by phil »

I dont; think the cloud has anything to do with the internet. Its just apples proprietary way of making money. I refuse to use it myself or buy into that scheme. If I buy music I want to own my copy. I still use cassettes in my car lol ;-) I like them... and they are usually close to free at garage sales.

You can copy pictures into Icloud and back to your favorite "I thing" but I can copy to my own hard drive just as easy.

I did finally find a way to copy my MP3's onto my Ipad. It is possible but apple tries to make it as difficult as they can. Transferring pictures and photos is easy.

If you travel lots I can see how Icloud is good for backing up your phone in case you drop it in a puddle. They probably own the rights to all your photos if they get those though and if you take photos with location services turned on it maps exactly where you took them and that data is trapped in the file with the photo. locations services is creepy. the only time I turn it on is if I'm away from home and maybe lost and want directions.. I'ts none of apples business where I live. the data they can collect without you realizing it is scary stuff. Some malls were using to to track every shopper so they can tell where you walked how much time you looked in each store by following your phone's location. that's messed up and a serious invasion of privacy in my book. but the iphones are easy to use and they work well. I have an android for work and it's such a PITA after getting used to an iphone although I guess it's what you get used to. I think I could be perfectly happy with either it's just familiarity. I think apple makes it easier to get onto because the user interface is more user friendly.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ok folks, more clutter
Upper management and I were out and about antiquing the other day and found this majolica jardiniere on stand. Just had to buy it. The dragons wrap around and are applied to the body.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

OH! That's a cool jardiniere! I can never find any for a reasonable price!

phil

Post by phil »

I love the little cylinder player in the background.. an Edison? do you have cylinders with it? occasionally Ill see small collections of them.. Neat! Ive got an old Brunswick phono with a console cabinet in my kitchen. a friend gave me the player in an oak box and I found the cabinet for 20 bucks a few houses from me.. I had to modify the old wooden internal horn a little to make it fit the cabinet but the phono dropped right in. I just need to make a crank.. for now I'm using a ratchet to wind it up and play my 78's. Ive got another one in oak box that is also a wind up phono. It has a broken spring but I probably just need to shorten it up and re-bend the end of the spring to repair that one.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Phil, a 1906 Edison standard, works. Only plays the two minute cylinders. Has the large signet horn.
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 780 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 780 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ok, this is for Mick. One step Closer to oil in our lamps.
Thanks giving up here in Canada, had the family over for traditional supper. For the ambiance lit the twelve candles on our lamp. Maybe by Christmas I’ll lite the oil.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:Ok, this is for Mick. One step Closer to oil in our lamps.
Thanks giving up here in Canada, had the family over for traditional supper. For the ambiance lit the twelve candles on our lamp. Maybe by Christmas I’ll lite the oil.

Love this! Whrn you are ready to light that oil hit me up for a few tips on what to burn, kerosene, wicks etc.
Mick...