The devil is in the details, or not.

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Gothichome

Re: The devil is in the details, or not.

Post by Gothichome »

Stonehouse, that lamp is great, looks like you have it lit. These old oil lamps just kind of make a room complete I think.
Here is one of our other oil lamps, this is a Bradley and Hubbard we have mounted in the front parlour. There is no power going to it so it depends completely on oil. Some day we might actually light it. It is all original, no knock of parts what so ever.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Another Victorian do-dad. A German bisc lamp swinger. Used to pull the lamp down for lighting. Also added a little bit of fancyness to the lamp.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:Another Victorian do-dad. A German bisc lamp swinger. Used to pull the lamp down for lighting. Also added a little bit of fancyness to the lamp.

Well I never knew that's what those were for (the pull down bit)
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mick, I believe they were more decorative than functional over time. They were a cheap trinket when new (the type of thing you would buy at a dollar store now). Often the rope would brake and the figurine would be laying in pieces on the floor. No one would have given it a second thought back then. They are a relatively hard find today though.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Another one of our period lamps. This a B&H lamp circa 1880. All restored up. Will take oil could be lit and used.
We have it mounted at the front door.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

could be? what a waste not to, I bet that is gorgeous when lit
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mick. I am pretty sure all my original lamps would look just fantastic with a flame going. The logical side of my brain knows they are safe. The illogical side is paranoid to light them. Silly eh! Down the road maybe I will, just not this week, or next.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Gothichome wrote:Mick. I am pretty sure all my original lamps would look just fantastic with a flame going. The logical side of my brain knows they are safe. The illogical side is paranoid to light them. Silly eh! Down the road maybe I will, just not this week, or next.

I regularly burn the center draft store lamps I have - never worried about the heat etc. even though they used the same setup as a kerosene heater! you just need practice! :D

BTW use clear K1 kerosene heater fuel, not smelly high sulfur blue hardware store kero, and certainly not "lamp oil"
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well folks wallet is just a little lighter once again. Got off easy this time, no walking the ditches looking pop bottles to supliment the grocery money.
Found this this mouth blown very Victorian cranberry glass bud vase.
Another score, this Art neuvou pot, not realy sure of it's age but it is hand thrown and decorated. Could be late Victorian to late teens and is signed although I can not find any reference to the potter on the net. Appears to have at least three firings so some time was spent in its production.
Both pieces were very reasonable to by,

BungalowMo
Been here a good while

Post by BungalowMo »

Nice finds!!! Very pretty!
~ Maureen
1916-ish Craftsman Bungalow