The devil is in the details, or not.

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Gothichome

The devil is in the details, or not.

Post by Gothichome »

I would like to use this space to display some the Victorian clutter we've been collecting. If ant one would like to add pics of there home clutter feel free to add.
Spent the weekend at an antique fair, spent some money, learned some stuff and generally had fun.
Late Victorian Japanese cloisonné vase. This is not a high dollar one but will look great and fits in well with the Victorians love of all things Asian.

Another find, this a rare Thomas Forest company transfer ware flow blue bowle manufactured between 1877 and 1883.

Gothichome

Re: The devil is in the details, or not.

Post by Gothichome »

Just mounted this Aladdin in the rear vestibule. Converted using the Aladdin conversion burner, the shade is a modern Aladdin.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Did a bit of antiquing, found a proper replacement shade for this lamp. The one pictured is a far to small replacement.
This is the replacement, the style of shade is called a tammoshanter. The flower is different but all the colours and shading match the base amazingly well. And is the correct scale for the lamp.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

While out antiquing we found some proper banquet lamps for the dinning room.
This is a Success company lamp. The seller mentions on his little tag the shade is original to lamp. Not so sure though, the fitting does' look quite right to me
This is a Parker, the shade is most diffinatly a replacement.
The last is a Bradley and Hubbard lamp. It's a bit of a mutt. It was once converted and now has been converted back to oil. The font has been solderd but I dought it will hold oil. The burner is a single wick eagle, it should have a duplex,to. bad, it was an expensive lamp when new. Even more expensive now.
All three of these would be circa 1880.

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Do you buy antiques and then find spots for them, or the other way around? Serendipity or planned purchases?

I have to have all the answers--do I have a spot for this? do I have the money for this? do I like the looks of this? does this fit into the period of my house? did I always want one of these things, or am I liking this for the first time?

One can enjoy Victorian lamps immensely because they look nice in Victorian homes. I try to stay away from Victoriana and enjoy it in the homes of others. I don't have a single lamp. Thanks for the peek at yours.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Kansas, we generally buy to fill a need. We do not see a spot that needs some thing and rush out, we waite and look, waite some more,look some more, till we find what we like at a price we think is right. We have some very nice antiques at realy reasonable prices, down rite cheap actually and we have some that most defiantly were a considered purchase. But all in all we buy at a reasonable price( ok upper management buys reasonable, I have the cursed 'waving hand syndrome' at antique auctions).
Those three lamps I posted, were cheaper purchased together rather than if we bought as a single. Two will go in the dinning room, the other in the up stairs hall I think.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well folks, got our first real antique bed. Complete bed head board, footboard and rails. A Victorian double bed witch fits absolutely no modern box/mattress. As seen here the footboard is not attached and the head board is secured(not very well) to a modern queen frame. We have two choices, custom mattress or modify the rails. My leaning is to go custom mattress.
It is in the yellow room used for guests.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

It's lovely. Definitely worth the extra effort getting the mattress to work. :)

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Corsetier yes it is very nice and very heavy definitely no hollow tubing in its manufacture.

This is our book case we purchased last year, I call it the beast. Sold to us a 1840(ish) don't think it's that old. The vernier is lifting on the top, and you can see it is not a saw cut vernier but the veneer is thick so suspect an early machine cut vernier. I suspect it might be circa 1860. Also the detailing scroll work is applied not carved. The case is 15 feet long and about five and and a half tall. And dam is it heavy. It comes apart in three sections the foot, the cabinet and the crown. I also suspect it was a high end display cabinet or trophy case not built as a book case, it's far to deep compared book cases I have seen. One down side is that it has lost all it's original wood shelves. It currently has plate glass shelves.
CImage
We are slowly filling it up with antique books, reference dooks and period ephemera.

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

LOVE that bookcase! :thumbup: