The devil is in the details, or not.

Furniture, furnishings and other items of antique interest
Gothichome

Re: The devil is in the details, or not.

Post by Gothichome »

James, both windows look great and do provide a bit of a wow factor for both rooms.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Thanks, Ron. I see that I posted photos a while back in another thread. I can't keep track of these things.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I see it’s been a while once I posted anything of my antiquing exploits. Well, was at it again, found these Victorian press back chairs for cheap.

If you will notice the impression in the middle of the slat back is that of Queen Victoria. The source for the design of the portrait is the official authorized image for commercial use licensed by the place. The chairs can be exactly dated to 1887, the year of her jubilee anniversary of her Accession to the throne.

Ron

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Nice find, Ron. I've always liked that style of chair, and how interesting to be able to refer to them as "Victorian" in more than one sense. Will they need any repair or other attention?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

James, no restoration required but I did have to reglue the back splat to the lower rail. Other than that they have aged well I think.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ok, was out antiquing over the weekend, found an antique place with three barns full of great antique furniture. We we found three great antiques we (I) just had to have.
First off this great Eastlake (bordering Gothic) stand for plants, lamps or what ever. This was the hight of Eastlake fashion and suspect it to be in the range of 1870.english walnut. The tile is hand painted and also made in England. Notice the spoon carving comes directly from Mr Dressers book on ornamentation.
IMG_1340.jpeg
IMG_1340.jpeg (476.43 KiB) Viewed 8037 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (543.2 KiB) Viewed 8037 times
Another great score (I think) is this very Victorian tilt top paper mache japanned occasional table with mother of pearl decoration. This would date to 1850. Paper mache was all the rage at this time. Furniture was made of it and smaller project kits were available for the Victorian lady as a hobby to decorate and assemble.
IMG_1342.jpeg
IMG_1342.jpeg (512.01 KiB) Viewed 8037 times
The third item is a Victorian reading stand probably dating 1880’ish.
IMG_1343.jpeg
IMG_1343.jpeg (505.72 KiB) Viewed 8037 times
Now any Victorian scholar of means with a personal library would have had one of these.
Attachments
IMG_1341.jpeg
IMG_1341.jpeg (521.24 KiB) Viewed 8037 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

More Victorian ambiance for Gothichome for those who are interested. We now have a Poitier for the front parlor
IMG_0048.jpeg
IMG_0048.jpeg (445.01 KiB) Viewed 371 times
Also an antique tilt top table placed in the dinning room
.[gattachment=0]IMG_0015.jpeg[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_0015.jpeg
IMG_0015.jpeg (515.82 KiB) Viewed 371 times