Old House Guy

Need professional help? Got great service? Tell others about it here. (Tradespersons, Companies, Suppliers too)
Mick_VT

Old House Guy

Post by Mick_VT »

A mine of all sorts of useful information on old houses http://www.oldhouseguy.com/
Mick...

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Old House Guy

Post by SouthernLady »

He has been extremely helpful to me in a few projects at the old McCuiston House. I emailed him just a few weeks ago concerning the discoveries I have made about the possible original colors on my 1883 farmhouse. I sent him pictures, and he made recommendations for the exact shade of green paint I should use, as well as the blue for the ceiling of the kitchen stoop.

He is very knowledgeable!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Thanks for posting his link.

Kashka-Kat
Stalwart

Post by Kashka-Kat »

Coincidentally, I happened across this same website the other day. This is the pg which most resonated for me - due to all the times Ive struggled to explain to people on online forums and in person why its usually best not to futz with original style and architectural features. As Old House Guy states so eloquently, its because usually the houses were built and designed using classic design principles... which are NOT opinion or style or fad, but have to do with how we are hardwired as humans to perceive spatial relationships. You start messing with those principles , then things start looking really "off" and losing their charm although most people would not be able to articulate why.

http://www.oldhouseguy.com/aesthetics-the-solution/

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Wow, I just stepped into this forum and found this thread. I used Old House Guy to help me choose paint colors for my house and also give me help in figuring out how to build my new front steps. He was extremely helpful and would get back to me very quickly for all my questions.

My house is listed as "1940 House in Vermont" in his portfolio. I am going with the yellow and ivory color scheme. https://www.oldhouseguy.com/projects/ex ... portfolio/
1939 Minimal Traditional

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Gina, just spotted your post way down here, I don’t look down here at the professional Directory. That’s great to see. The old House Guy used to be a regular contributor to one of the previous District encarnations.