Some questions about radiant heating

Need professional help? Got great service? Tell others about it here. (Tradespersons, Companies, Suppliers too)
Shig
Just Arrived

Some questions about radiant heating

Post by Shig »

Hi, everyone!

I'm new to this site but have read some very interesting posts on boilers and radiant heating.

I am in need of experienced advice on how to size a coal boiler for use with radiant heat 1500 sq.ft. Some say to go with a larger boiler to take advantage of a larger hopper.

Others say a large boiler isn't necessary and some even use a hot water heater to perform the duty. I'm not sure how to get to the facts. The coal boiler dealer can't help me.

Estimate the BTU's needed to accomplish this task and I have no clue on estimating BTU's...The boiler will be used in a new 30x50 garage, 16' ceilings, full foundation, 6"" concrete slab and will be insulating the walls and ceiling over time, but will have to make due for now.

Trying to just take the sting out of the air during winter months...

But if possible match a system that would run efficiently with radiant heat. The plan is to lay down a rollout under slab insulation barrier, wire mesh and attach pex tubing.

I found lots of info on building a manifold for a closed system and mixing valve assemblies but still stumped on an appropriate boiler size.

Any suggestions on boiler size, type, or radiant heat would be appreciated...

Gothichome

Re: Some questions about radiant heating

Post by Gothichome »

Hello Shig, your post got a little lost down here in this section. A coal fired boiler, that’s a bit old fashioned, most folks go to gas, it requires no stoking or coal bin.
Here is a quick calculate video for the loading. Your biggest issue would be finding the energy value of the coal.
https://youtu.be/aszvtO_qUug

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

Gothichome wrote:...that’s a bit old fashioned...

Really, Ron? Here?

mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mjt »

I guess it depends on local availability. In these parts, most residential heating is gas-fired. Wood is probably a very distant second.

While my house has fireplaces that were originally meant for coal and were the only heat source, I haven't the foggiest idea where I'd source coal... We also have an oil tank on the property, So I assume when the house got central heat that the original boiler was an oil-burner.

Similar to the electrical system, my house is a timeline documenting various heating methods in the area...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Manalto wrote:
Gothichome wrote:...that’s a bit old fashioned...

Really, Ron? Here?

Gezzzz, your right James what was I thinking. And just were did I put my stoking shovel? In Victorian times there were self feeding arrangements for feeding coal into furnaces and boilers.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

LOL - get your head out of the 21st century, my friend!