Historic Orchards

A great place to find technical reference material, information and "how to" articles
WildGeeseLn
Knows the area

Historic Orchards

Post by WildGeeseLn »

Here is a great reference for those of you with historic orchards (or those interested in adding a period appropriate orchard). It's called "Fruitful Legacy", a National Park Service publication (Olmsted Center for Historic Preservation). It is focused on the old orchards at Capitol Reef National Park in Utah, but offers great information for any location, including tree varieties (lots of photos), orchard design, and tree rehabilitation. I have a hard copy, but is also available online :
http://www.nps.gov/subjects/culturallan ... cument.pdf

Page 7 is particularly useful in dating your old orchard! Landscapes can sometimes be used for clues on dating homes, or at least properties.

I also have a professional background in historic and cultural landscape preservation, and I've done work on orchards, gardens, and parks. I also worked for the US Botanic Garden for a bit, so I'm pretty well versed in plant species as well. Feel free to message me with your landscape questions!!!!

Colleen