For those with A&C homes, Morris company

A great place to find technical reference material, information and "how to" articles
Gothichome

For those with A&C homes, Morris company

Post by Gothichome »

nhguy
Stalwart

Re: For those with A&C homes, Morris company

Post by nhguy »

Interesting to see the furniture of Arts and Crafts design in England. Much fancier that anything I have seen compared to the designs on this side of the pond. I spotted a few pieces that even looked like Pilgrim Century designs from here in New England.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

NH, yes there is a real distinction between A&C in England than in NA. I think we have associated A&C with stickley style bare bones type of furniture or Mission styles, were as the Brits, it was just an evolution of past designs, a simplification of previous styles with an emphasis on construction with out abandoning style.
This catalogue was produced in 1912, William Morris had been dead for 14 years, Morris & Company (obviously) was just a continuation of Williams Morris &Company adapting to the current trends in Briton.
When looking at the offerings I see a lot of English Eastlake in the furnishings, the only hinge missing is the spoon carving and extra embellishments.
It will be interesting to read others view, maybe Colonial will chime in with his thoughts.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

Thanks Ron, Great inspiration. Every piece is such a statement of craftsmanship and a work of art unto itself. It makes me realized how we have regressed, despite our modern tools and machinery. Now so many rooms around us are filled with particleboard Ikea junk with a complete absence of style or thought. Rather than thinking of proportions that look nice we surround ourselves with stuff that is sized to make the most of a sheet of chipboard. Many of us , here, have probably reacted by creating a zone free of such ugliness but that certainly isn't the norm.