1917 Aladdin home furnishings catalog

A great place to find technical reference material, information and "how to" articles
Gothichome

1917 Aladdin home furnishings catalog

Post by Gothichome »

https://archive.org/details/furnishingsforho00alad
Good for a look with your morning tea.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: 1917 Aladdin home furnishings catalog

Post by Manalto »

What a varied product line in this catalog, and an interesting glimpse into the aesthetics of the time. I've found it useful already. Thanks for posting!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ya, when they say general merchandise catalogue they really do mean general. In a world of mail order purchasing, if you had only one catalogue in the house, the greater the chances of every thing you buy comming from that same catalogue.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Thank you, this is wonderful! I really need one of those "kitchen cabinets" to put my microwave in. I've not seen any of them in any antique store that I've been to yet. Could they be rare for some reason?
1939 Minimal Traditional

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I see them listed as Hoosiers. They tend to be a little pricey but not as much as they used to be. I'd like one for my pantry too.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Gina, they are out there. The issue with most I’ve seen is they have been coated with paint so thick you chip at it with a chisel or about to fall apart if moved. But there are some good ones out there, the best ones aren’t cheap.
We keep our microwave on top of the ice box. No place to hide it.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

Thanks, Gothichome. As I'm getting older and my fibromyalgia is getting worse, I need my microwave to be at counter level. The last thing I need is to have to reach above my head to get hot food. I don't even want it above my range anymore.

I'll keep looking! Painted is fine, bad gouges are fine, as I plan to paint it to match my modern kitchen cabinets anyway. It would also be lovely if I could put a thin slab of soapstone on the counter surface of it. My little kitchen is just big enough to have a U design of cabinets, but I'd rather have one of those Hoosiers on one wall instead of a solid wall of cabinets. Then I can paint the wall behind it with blackboard paint to use for doodles.
1939 Minimal Traditional

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

on page 117 they have an alladin heat regulator.. I thought it interesting, you have to remember to wind the clock. I'm not sure what the big dry cell batteries are for.

theres a bit in there that says " so when you get up the house is at 70 degrees, If you have enough fuel in your tank.. no deceptive advertising here ;-)