I made a paint stripping video

A great place to find technical reference material, information and "how to" articles
Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

I made a paint stripping video

Post by Corsetière »

I thought it might save someone a little time! It hope it is helpful! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed1Gi48X3Wg

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: I made a paint stripping video

Post by Manalto »

Nice video! I asked a question about putty knives.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Manalto wrote:Nice video! I asked a question about putty knives.

Thanks!
Ah! That was you!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Corcetiere, that's a pretty creative video, well done the music, New Orleans Rhythm Kings?

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

It seems like a missed opportunity that you didn't call this thread "I Made A Stripping Video" but that's just me...

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Gothichome wrote:Corcetiere, that's a pretty creative video, well done the music, New Orleans Rhythm Kings?

The song is Hot Lips by Bill Brown and His Brownies. lol!

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Manalto wrote:It seems like a missed opportunity that you didn't call this thread "I Made A Stripping Video" but that's just me...

I thought about about putting Lucite heels in the materials list and using burlesque music. lol!

Vala

Post by Vala »

So you don't use a heat gun at all? Does citristrip remove all paint layers with 1 application? The paint stripper I use is extremely messy and only takes off 1 coat at a time so I use a heat gun to remove multiple layers then the stripper for the remaining bits. Just curious if this product is better and more efficient than what I have been using.

Corsetière

Post by Corsetière »

Vala wrote:So you don't use a heat gun at all? Does citristrip remove all paint layers with 1 application? The paint stripper I use is extremely messy and only takes off 1 coat at a time so I use a heat gun to remove multiple layers then the stripper for the remaining bits. Just curious if this product is better and more efficient than what I have been using.

I think I ended up applying it twice. The bulk of everything came of in one go, and then I used a light second coat with the detail brushes and dental picks to remove the stuff in the crevises. I think how efficient it is depends on what your base layer is. It works really well on my woodwork that has shellac underneath. :)

Vala

Post by Vala »

Corsetière wrote:I think I ended up applying it twice. The bulk of everything came of in one go, and then I used a light second coat with the detail brushes and dental picks to remove the stuff in the crevises. I think how efficient it is depends on what your base layer is. It works really well on my woodwork that has shellac underneath. :)

Oh I see. Most of the woodwork in my place was originally shellaced, some was originally painted I've decided to leave that be. But most of the wood with paint has 3 coats, one very old coat of lead/liseed oil paint likely from the 20s, a 2nd coat from the 60s which is oil paint, then a 3rd coat from 2005 which is latex. The only way I get all 3 coats off at once is with a heat gun. I hate using paint stripper its so messy and caustic, I haven't even stripped any wood in a while because I can't even find any gloves anymore, not that the gloves last long anyway they're all "resistant" not "chemical proof". Might have to look online as I have too many half stripped areas.