Our 1926 Dutch Colonial

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Our 1926 Dutch Colonial

Post by CS in Low Hud »

Hi, here's my reintroduction!

Pictures are at the bottom.

This home was built in 1926 by a Methodist Book Publishing Company, located in Dobbs Ferry, NY, as part of a planned neighborhood, known as Ordell Manor, for housing their workers. The land, formerly a working farm, was owned and developed by Lyman French, who in addition to the family farm, the publishing and the land development businesses, was also mayor of the town at the time. The home he lived in is two doors down and across the street from this site.

The house was originally a two bedroom, one bathroom probable kit house, rumored to be from Montgomery Ward (though this has not been proved, and is probably incorrect). Stamps on the inside casings of the windows identify where the windows should be placed but not, unfortunately, the manufacturer. The attic rafters MAY also be numbered (some other houses on the street reportedly have this), but that has not been ascertained, and in any case, are also missing a manufacturer’s name. So... while it seems possible to be a kit house, it’s of unknown manufacture.

It incorporated both a Dutch Colonial Revival exterior and Arts and Crafts interior trim. There are two other “sister” houses located in the neighborhood, but those examples have the gable facing the other way, and have been severely (and not particularly carefully) altered in appearance over the years. This house was lucky enough not to loose the critical architectural elements that make it so special: The porch, the original windows, the floors, woodwork, trim and doors, the stairs etc.

It has been home to only a few families in its many years, and most of those families lived here for a long time - more then 20 years in more then one case. It is a fine home to raise a family in, on a great street for kids to play on, and a block away from a 76 acre forested nature preserve - a huge asset to have 20 miles north of Times Square! We have lived here for 18 years.

My kids are teenagers now. My wife is a freelance print editor with several steady gigs, mostly in the fields of archaeology and medicine. I produce and direct video corporate communications, mostly for big pharma and large financial institutions. Together we run our own communications company out of the house, which mostly exists as a name to serve as our "employer of record" as we work for our various clients.

Between 1997 and 2005, we completed the following on the house:

• Removed the paneling and carpet
• Reclaimed the overgrown back yard, and built stone steps and a retaining wall
• Bricked the walkways and corrected the grade, fixed the steps to the driveway
• Stripped, repaired and refinished the hardwood floors
• Put a new roof on the house and garage
• Installed a cedar picket fence around the yard
• Disassembled, stripped, re-stained (or in a couple cases, repainted), reglazed and weather-stripped all the original windows.
• Stripped and re-stained all interior woodwork.
• Stripped and repainted the porch and banisters.
• Removed the paved driveway from the gate to the garage and replanted with grass

In the summer of 2005 we decided to add a third bedroom. Here are the changes we made at that point:

• Removed the 1982 addition (which was rotting) and excavated a full basement in the space that previously had been a crawl space.
• Rebuilt the addition with fireplaces and a master bedroom.
• Created a bump-out to allow us to more then double the kitchen size, add an office and a powder room on the main floor, and both a family bath and a master bath on the second floor.
• Removed the vinyl and asphalt siding, repaired the original cedar siding where we could and replaced it with Hardie Plank to match where we could not. The siding was painted to match the original 1926 color of the house.
• Replaced the concrete porch stairs with a period appropriate wooden set.
• Created built-in cabinetry which helps maximize space, including the dining room side board, the colonnade between the dining room and the family room, the cabinets in the family room and kitchen (and various other places in the house) and the desk in the office.
• Replaced the back patio
• Added whole house air conditioning and heat (replacing the steam radiators)
• Upgraded the electrical
• Had cellulose insulation blown into all the wall cavities in the original walls.
• Added copper gutters and downspouts, and connected them to two new drywells.

Since 2005, we've:
    • Replaced the paved driveway with a "tar-and-chip" driveway
    • built a backyard pizza oven

Here are some photos:

Exterior:

Living-room:

Two-sided Dining Room Side-Board (also opens into kitchen):

Dining Room looking into Family Room:

Family Room:

Kitchen:

Master Bedroom:

Wine Cellar:

Pizza Oven:

Tar-and-Chip driveway:

Thanks for looking... there's more details here, if interested: http://www.saracenihouse.com

Chris

Mick_VT

Re: Our 1926 Dutch Colonial

Post by Mick_VT »

Chris your place is gorgeous! I am particularly pulled to that basement cellar for some reason :lol:
Mick...

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Chris, good to have you on board. And as Mick mentioned your wine cellar is fantastic. Well the whole home is fantastic for that matter.

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Like the others said, that wine cellar is so unexpected! Can you tell us how that came about? And when you started to dig - did you expect that boulder to be there? Looks good to leave it there. Very unusual.

Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by Nicholas »

That is one gorgeous house, very well done.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

this is when I think my poor little house may not make me so happy even when she's all fixed up....I think I am lusting.....
glad you are here....
....jade

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Post by CS in Low Hud »

Thanks all!

Jade, your house is going to make you very happy when she's all fixed up! Bear in mind: we've been here 18 years. When we started it was a vinyl-sided, pink-shag-carpeted, every-bit-of-wood-trim-painted-white (and flaking) fixer-upper. It was a long road to get here. Here's what the kitchen looked like when we moved in, for example:
BTW, show us some pictures, would'ja, Jade!

Regarding the wine cellar... we excavated a crawlspace when we replaced the 1980's addition. The rock is an outcrop of Manhattan Schist - very hard. It was a real curve ball in the construction process, because I had intended to relocate the mechanicals there. Here's me back in 2005 standing on the just-discovered rock in full-on freak-out mode:

Because we couldn't use explosives, and jack-hammering was not effective, we had to reconfigure the basement plans. This left me with a room that was empty, cool and damp - but, as it turned out - perfect for a wine cellar. I've made wine for years, as a hobby, so it was a good excuse to expand production. :lol:

Chris

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

The coolest house evah!! Then you get to the wine cellar. Bingo. It is a gorgeous house. You said it was a fixer-upper. We will have to do a poll to find out if anybody bought a house that was truly move-in ready and did not require a fix of any kind.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare