Emerson Hadley House

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Emerson Hadley House

Post by mjt »

Thanks! Strictly speaking these aren't period colors, but we tend to gravitate to something close to original colors we've seen in the house.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

MJT, the room looks good. Summit Ave, what a great parade of palatial homes. How many are House museums. I think your fine home would fit on that Avenue as well.

mjt

Post by mjt »

As far as I know only the James J Hill House is an actual museum. Over time, many of the houses on the eastern end of Summit have been "condo-ized". A few have been turned into event spaces where the owner lives upstairs and the first floor/yard are used for weddings, etc. A few are now B&Bs and one was recently turned into a boutique hotel.

We are two blocks from the Hill house and, because it doesn't run perpendicular to the side streets at the eastern end, we are only half a block off Summit. Of the five houses on our street, ours is probably the grandest, but only third in size...

mjt

Post by mjt »

Over the weekend I finished something we've been talking about doing forever. We got a fountain working in the grotto. Details on my blog. And here's a photo of the completed project.

GinaC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by GinaC »

<3 <3 <3
(because we don't have a heart emote)
1939 Minimal Traditional

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

That looks fantastic MJ, has the local cathedral noticed they are missing a Gothic arch door surround yet?

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Gina, we do have heart emotes! Click on "View more smilies", and they're on the 4th page.

That looks faboo, MJ. :romance-hearteyes:

I have pondered a fountain for our future pond, but keep thinking, "Nope, nope, nope, so out of my league."
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

mjt

Post by mjt »

Gothichome wrote:That looks fantastic MJ, has the local cathedral noticed they are missing a Gothic arch door surround yet?

The Cathedral of Saint Paul is two blocks away and none of its stone is on my property. As far as I know. Plausible deniability and all.

The history of the stone in our wall is somewhat unclear, but we believe it is from a building across the street that was torn down in the first quarter of the 1900s.

mjt

Post by mjt »

Lily left the valley wrote:That looks faboo, MJ. :romance-hearteyes:

I have pondered a fountain for our future pond, but keep thinking, "Nope, nope, nope, so out of my league."

You can do it. It's just electrical (running the outlet from the already present GFCI 75 feet away), simple plumbing (screwing some 3/4-inch PVC pipe fittings together and to some vinyl tubing), and landscaping (digging a hole for your pond or basin).

For us, the the hardest part was figuring out what to use for the fountainhead. We got lucky that we already had something that would work. So many choices just would look out of place on our property. And we have no idea what the original fountainhead looked like. The former neighbor with the original fountainhead was several drinks into the night when he offered to return it and shortly after was in a car accident where he suffered a head injury. His memory isn't what it was...

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

mjt wrote:
Lily left the valley wrote:{snip}I have pondered a fountain for our future pond, but keep thinking, "Nope, nope, nope, so out of my league."

You can do it. {snip}
Maybe...I think my self doubt is more about digging the trench and running the electrical when I know how much rock we have in ground we've been wrangling all over plus insane frost heave any time we dig up a section.

My hope is we'll do some work on the pond this fall when we do the dry creek bed, but it will depend on weather and other factors. It may get put off another year because I have a feeling the creek bed is going to take a while to get right.

Since the pond will be in the backyard, I have seriously considered building a smaller scale A'Tuin because we are both geeks, and the sculptural part I have much more confidence that I can do.

I'll likely make it no matter what, but if I decide to make that the fountainhead, I have looked at a few solar run low volume set ups, and that may be the route we go because that flow rate of water (rolling off the "sea" on the edge of the discworld) would be the proper effect for what I'd be recreating. Time will tell!
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.