Emerson Hadley House

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
mjt
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Emerson Hadley House

Post by mjt »

Don M wrote: I love your house & especially your study with its "horsey theme!"

We recently learned who painted the horse theme. Story on my blog here.

Don M

Post by Don M »

That's an interesting bit of history; I like the fire screen too!

mjt

Post by mjt »

We've had a busy few weeks because there's a deadline; graduation party for the little man who has been bigger than me for quite a while. Lots of landscaping, tuck-pointing the interior of the foundation walls, emptying the ash pits, and rebuilding the cellar stairs.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mike, you have been busy. I always liked your commitment to doing it correctly. I really donkey know of any one who take the extra expense to repoint the interior of the basement. And tell Mrs Mike, she did a great job on mounting the master pieces of art work. It does give a whole colourful feel to the back hallway.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

very few houses are loved and cared for as yours is mjt! it is so heartwarming to see what you are doing to keep here strong and beautiful and sturdy...I hope the rewards are bountiful for you and your family!
......jade

mjt

Post by mjt »

Thanks for the kind words Gothichome and Jade.

It's not a museum, but we try to stay true to the home. There's a neighborhood history film coming out shortly sponsored by the MN Historical Society and the local PBS station. As a result, this piece is making the rounds again. It's from a celebration of our house's architect and features She Who Must Be Obeyed as the on camera talent in the middle segment which is about our house. My job was to stay out of the way and not use power tools during the filming.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Mike, your home looks even more spectacular in the video. I like the first home comment, ‘our home is the smallest on the block at a bit over 5000 sq/ft.’

mjt

Post by mjt »

The first home is on Summit Avenue which is known for being the longest street of preserved Victorian era homes in the US. The further east you go from this house, closer to downtown, the bigger the houses tend to be. On the far eastern end is the 36,000 sq/ft James J Hill House.

My house is NOT on Summit Avenue. Though he argued cases in front of the US Supreme Court, the original owner worked for the people who lived on Summit Ave. ;-)

mjt

Post by mjt »

Life gets in the way sometimes. Because of other (good) things happening over the past year we've been busy and weren't doing a lot of projects around the house. Just as we were starting to get ready to do things, the pandemic hit. With everything being locked down, it was hard to choose and obtain materials for the next projects. In addition we've been cautious with our spending. One never knows about economic security.

As things started to open up, we were able to start on a small, low cost project, repainting/redecorating one of the bedrooms.

We were also able to get to a fabric store so I could reupholster the cornices. And then our metro area became the literal epicenter of the civil unrest. We and our home are safe.

Manalto
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Manalto »

I'll say it again - elegant color scheme!