New here but not to old houses

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
eclecticcottage
Forgotten more than most know

New here but not to old houses

Post by eclecticcottage »

I have been around OHW before although I've mostly gone dormant there as other things have taken over my life! I currently live in a 1950's summer cottage that we've made a full time home. It's an eclectic mix of vintage cottage and rustic-it was a flip many years ago and I think they were opposed to things like levels. But it's ok, it's a cottage so we just call it character. We sold our Old House (1920's vernacular-picture the house most kids draw-rectangle with a triangle roof) to our tenants this year (their first house). The only thing left there that was original when we bought it was the kitchen-which is still there.

I love old houses. I am opposed to replacing my home's original windows (all mismatched probably taken from other job sites when it was built-it was just a summer cottage). I have a 1950's stove and fridge. I'm not much for "new" stuff.

However, that said-I am in the process of closing on a 1920's brick bungalow which I will fix and resell. I hate the word "flipping", but it's basically what I'm doing. I will concede and replace the windows (I am saving the original sashes though). It isn't a typical craftsman with built ins everywhere-it has the typical lovely trim (albeit painted), but that's it. One wall of built ins in the kitchen, a clawfoot tub, and brick fireplace-with ONE window on the side vs the typical two. The previous owners destroyed one wall in what I think was an attempt at "open concept"-stopped by HVAC in that wall (an assumption since it's a forclosure). I'll fix that wall and leave it the way it should have been. The original front door was replaced by a steel one (yuck)-that may have to stay if I can't find a proper replacement. It needs a roof and a lot of love. I'm compromising between keeping it original and making it sellable to the majority of buyers in the location-basically, the compromise is the windows (and possibly laminate flooring since the originals are in rough shape). I plan to fix and resell more homes after this one. I am still sick over one I lost, that had every inch of the original trim, etc removed for drywall and home depot specials. I am not letting this one end up like that one.

Wackyshack

Re: New here but not to old houses

Post by Wackyshack »

Welcome on board!!!

You already scored 100 bonus points with your love of original windows.

When fixing up a house we sympathize with having to make hard decisions on what can stay and what can go... Glad to hear you are killing the open floor plan where it was never meant to exist.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

eclecticcottage

Thanks! Yeah, I have been a big supporter of old windows. If I had the time and ability to reglaze and repair the existing windows I'd consider trying to keep them but I have neither. There are some pics of my "little" gem on my paint scheme dilemma post in the non-tech forum.

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

scampering off to check it out...

Best be warned in advance... this group is filled with photo hounds... Pictures and more pictures!!

BTW we have a gallery you can set up shots of your house with captions as a eye candy blog... :)
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

:wave: Welcome to the District. I haven't been here long myself, but I've found great discussions and just keep on learning.

Sorry to hear about the one you lost. Those are always tough.

Ah, yes, pictures. I love the gallery they added. We are definitely picture junkies.

Best of luck with all your homes. :thumbup:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Welcome!

I used to be an avid reader of your blog until it fell dormant!

eclecticcottage

Hey! I knew I remembered that screen name when I saw it around. DH had to have back surgery earlier this year-ended up blowing out a disc and in the end could barely walk. Kind of took things in a different direction for a little while. It will reawaken after I get the keys to the new Old House. About all that's gone on at The Cottage is putting in a furnace (ugh-but after the surgery we decided better safe than sorry-what if I broke my leg at the same time, we would have been in a really tough spot with bringing in wood and heating the place) and a roof (WHAT a production-worst contractor we've ever dealt with). We did finish the inside of the sunporch. I don't think I blogged that. I should. Hm.

Sample pic, this is the mudroom part

and the "den" portion

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

A lot of the old-timers have found their way here although some of them seem to have fallen off the face of the earth. Sorry to hear abour your issues, hope everything will get better soon! Shoddy contractors are just the worst thing that can happen in renovation/construction! Did I ever show pictures of the central heating system that some morons installed here a few years ago? All bathrooms in the house look like a steamer's boiler room now!

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

eclecticcottage wrote:Hey! I knew I remembered that screen name when I saw it around. DH had to have back surgery earlier this year-ended up blowing out a disc and in the end could barely walk. Kind of took things in a different direction for a little while. It will reawaken after I get the keys to the new Old House. About all that's gone on at The Cottage is putting in a furnace (ugh-but after the surgery we decided better safe than sorry-what if I broke my leg at the same time, we would have been in a really tough spot with bringing in wood and heating the place) and a roof (WHAT a production-worst contractor we've ever dealt with). We did finish the inside of the sunporch. I don't think I blogged that. I should. Hm.

Oh, wow, I love this! I want to see more pictures!!! Nice to meet you!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan

oaktree

Post by oaktree »

eclecticcottage wrote:Hey! I knew I remembered that screen name when I saw it around. DH had to have back surgery earlier this year-ended up blowing out a disc and in the end could barely walk. Kind of took things in a different direction for a little while. It will reawaken after I get the keys to the new Old House. About all that's gone on at The Cottage is putting in a furnace (ugh-but after the surgery we decided better safe than sorry-what if I broke my leg at the same time, we would have been in a really tough spot with bringing in wood and heating the place) and a roof (WHAT a production-worst contractor we've ever dealt with). We did finish the inside of the sunporch. I don't think I blogged that. I should. Hm.

Oh, wow, I love this! I want to see more pictures!!! Nice to meet you!
1862 Greek Revival Farmhouse, Michigan