Introduction

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
EQA
Settling in

Re: Introduction

Post by EQA »

Hi Lily. That's a great idea for the paper shades until we can get something more permanent up in a lot of the rooms, which will be a process that'll take some time.

Actually, beyond the fact of it being a giant open room with some odd touches, it really isn't fair to call the top floor a weird sex dungeon. Someone to whom we describing the room called it that, and somehow the idea stuck. It did, however, have a toilet in the room. Just sort of....there. No door, no half wall. Just right there.

Anyway, I'll keep you all up to take on things, and thanks again for the brainstorming and warm welcomes.

D

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Is prostitution legal in your area? Might have been a brothel at one time. Last week I went on an urban exploration tour of a decrepit ca. 1914 apartment building and "Nina's Bar" turned out to have been an expensive brothel - including a jacuzzi like you described and a small room with latex-covered walls, various leather handcuffs and collars still on the wall and even a St. Andrew's cross on the wall. I'm quite surprised they didn't bother to take the cross and leather stuff with them when the bar moved! (Apparently Nina is quite some character and fought the evil slumlord for well over a decade until she finally relented and moved, there was even an article in a local broadsheet newspaper about the house that included an interview with her)

Vined Porch
Settling in

Post by Vined Porch »

Beautiful home!

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Where are the rest of the inside pictures??? Please.

EQA
Settling in

Post by EQA »

More pictures once we actually close and move in!

No, it wasn't a brothel, just a particular set of owners with a very particular taste in their master suite. Probably the worst thing that's happened to this house in its past was becoming student housing for a while. I suspect that's when it lost a lot of its standard Queen Anne ornamentation.

Wild story, TX Ranger! It's amazing what stories some places have....

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

WELCOME!!
that house isdefinitely one in a million...nothing else quite like it and I mean that in only a good way...
I love the peek-a-boo turret!
...jade

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

The story about that house is even wilder! It used to be owned by the city for decades, if not the better part of a century but in 2001 it was sold to an investor who promptly managed to get rid of almost all of the tenants and left the house to rot. Mind you, it's nearly impossible to get rid of paying tenants in a house built prior to 1954 in Austria using legal methods so I suspect he more or less annoyed the tenants so much they finally relented and decided to move on their own.

There's been horror stories from similar situations of "contractors" turning off the water and gas for weeks or even months "for repairs", whacking holes into exterior walls in the dead of winter etc. etc.

Don M

Post by Don M »

:thumbup: Congratulations, I love the turret & wrap around porch! :thumbup: On the aluminum storms; I have them on my old house. Granted I would like wood screens & storms but I have my triple tracks painted to match my trim & they don't detract from the overall appearance of my home.

EQA
Settling in

Post by EQA »

That's a good idea. Thanks!