Name that portal!

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Neighmond

Name that portal!

Post by Neighmond »

After seeing Nancykc's beautiful front door, here is a new game to try-Let's all send pictures of our front doors to portals@thehistoricdistrict.org , and they will be posted in http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/app.php/gallery/album/22 . Each picture will have a number, and the user who can match the most front doors with their contributors wins a prize!

Here are the guidelines:

Pictures should be sent to: portals@thehistoricdistrict.org

Pictures can be either before, during, or after revamping.

Pictures must show the door clearly enough to be reasonably identifiable.

If people are in the pictures, either make sure they are good with being posted or somehow mask their identity.

Doors from houses past are fair game (it'll add to the mystery!)

Users can submit more than one door, so long as they identify each one they send in as one of theirs.

Any door going to the outside or a porch is fair game.

If you don't want to show the whole door, some special part of it will work just as well.

Those who are sending guesses should PM them to me (user name NEIGHMOND) or email them to: portals@thehistoricdistrict.org

In the event of more than one user with the same amount of correct answers, the one received earliest will be the winner.

If you have a picture and it won't post or you need someone edited out or something, send it to me and tell me what needs done and I'll do my best to help. I will begin to post them this week. We'll say a couple weeks for folks to get their pictures to me, an extra week for the guessing to take place, and we'll announce and award the prize in time for Thanksgiving! I ain't eligible to win but all the rest of y'all are!

Good luck all!
Chaz

Neighmond

Re: Name that portal! update!

Post by Neighmond »

IMG_20161102_231158869.jpg
IMG_20161102_231158869.jpg (840.64 KiB) Viewed 10537 times

Here's part of the prize the lucky winner will receive, all free and shipped to their door. Straight from my own library (I had two copies) and clear full of practical help and common sense tips aimed at the older home.

IMG_20161102_231258066.jpg
IMG_20161102_231258066.jpg (875.25 KiB) Viewed 10537 times
Attachments
IMG_20161102_231231622.jpg
IMG_20161102_231231622.jpg (784.53 KiB) Viewed 10537 times

Neighmond

Re: Name that portal! update p.s.

Post by Neighmond »

There is another part of the prize that is still getting finalized that the winner is sure to enjoy. Details as soon as possible!

Kmarissa
Knows the back streets

Re: Name that portal!

Post by Kmarissa »

Do we have to win the contest to find out what product from our medicine cabinet will stop our wood floors from squeaking? Because I could really use that info! ;)

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

Kmarissa wrote:Do we have to win the contest to find out what product from our medicine cabinet will stop our wood floors from squeaking? Because I could really use that info! ;)

If it's a minor squeak, and not due to a board coming up or such...
Talcum Powder. Sprinkle it over the floor, sweep it so it helps it get between the cracks, and "Presto, Chango", less squeak.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Still taking submissions!

Kmarissa
Knows the back streets

Post by Kmarissa »

I might have to try that! We have a large collection of minor and major squeaks, creaks, cracks and pops in our hallway floors. I don't mind a squeaky floor and it's almost a requirement of an old house, but in some places it's bad enough and loud enough that we have trouble moving around the house after our baby goes to bed just because of the noise.

It could have something to do with the fact that our floors seem to be more modern hardwood laid over the original hardwoods throughout the house. What seem to be the actual original floors are only visible in some of the closets. So I guess we have an extra layer worth of squeaks to contend with.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

8 new doors to name! Here they are:

app.php/gallery/album/22

Keep 'em coming to me via PM or at portals@thehistoricdistrict.org ...I am extending the time to send me pics to post till after turkey day because a couple emailed me and said they wanted to send theirs in but were too pressed for time.

Remember, PM or email your answers, don't put them up where everyone can see, it keeps the rest all guessing!

Cheers!
Chaz

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

More doors added! Keep 'em coming!

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

The one with the cat had me rolling with laughter. The cat my family had when I was younger used to climb the screen door all the time. My dad had to put chicken wire up to stop having to replace the screen every other week.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.