Hi All - New Member from OHW

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
wletson
Been here a good while

Re: Hi All - New Member from OHW

Post by wletson »

Chadzeilenga wrote: Any thoughts on this combo? ... Does anyone have an experience painting triple tracks? They are already painted the peach color, but I'm wondering how much of them to paint?

Capture.JPG

My first reaction is that you don't necessarily have to go to "black" to get that look, but if you have the paint go for it. A really, really dark version of one of your colors could look a bit better, but only marginally. Take your paint chips everywhere you go, and compare all paints side by side when you can.
Great choices on main siding and trim color!

Um, Jade will hopefully jump in on the window painting question, I wouldn't even think of giving advice on windows with her around. :)

I totally remember you from OHW as well. I hope you remember me in a favorable light, I know I can be a bit off the wall some days. :)

Fire away with the questions...
Warren

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

There's a few of us on here that go back to OHW days.....glad to see you again! Some of us were there back far enough you didn't have to register! 1999 or so!

CHeers!
Chaz

Chadzeilenga
Knows the area

Post by Chadzeilenga »

Hey, thanks for the input! It's always great to bounce ideas off others with like minds. We're planning the following colors in stages:

Trim: BM Weston Flax HC-5
Storms & doors: BM Yorktowne Green HC-133
Main Body: BM Van Courtland Blue HC-145

I'd post pics of the colors, but BM website doesn't seem to be working yet. Plan is to paint all of the windows and trim and then paint the siding. I'd love to tear the aluminum & 2 layers of asphalt off, but don't have the funding to deal with the wood siding issues that are underneath (I know they cut a bunch of holes to install the foam insulation). Also, the PO lopped off some of the trim when he was installing the aluminum in '81.

Here's a pic of progress so far. Sashes are all stripped, primed & painted in BM Black Enamel. The top transom has the first painted storm installed. Hard to see color difference due to lighting. I'm planning to give the Sarco a week to get a nice skin coat before I paint it.

Should be getting my Samson spot cord in and can't wait to start installing that!

image1.JPG
image1.JPG (144.66 KiB) Viewed 916 times
Chad & Annie
1904 Folk Victorian

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I LOVE dark colors for sash exteriors!

can't recall ever personally painting storms but I would suggest taking them apart to paint--don't want to clog up the works! my approach would be to paint the exterior of the frame while the storm is intact, then install it...once installed plumb, level and square (or at least two of the three!), remove the glass/screen panels and paint the their frames....then touch up areas on the storm frame that were hidden by the panels...

good luck....
...jade

Chadzeilenga
Knows the area

Post by Chadzeilenga »

Thanks Jade!!! I've always felt that dark sashes/storms add some depth to the exterior of a house. I'm not sure why the reverse combo isn't appealing, but dark windows are a nice contrast.

I painted my first triple track. Had all of the windows/screens out of it for painting and was careful about not getting paint into the channels as in the winter we close them up with glass on top & bottom. In the summer both panes of glass are on the bottom so we can open the upper sash of our windows. Painting went good. I'll get it mounted tonight and see how they look.

One thing, does anyone know where to find the extrusion that goes at the bottom of the triple track and takes up the gap between the sill & the storm? Mine is about 1" tall and fits around the bottom of the storm. Has a slight lip at the bottom. I'll make something if I can't find anything.
Chad & Annie
1904 Folk Victorian

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

it may be a proprietary part that you can only purchase from the manufacturer...do you know the brand name? I searched under 'storm window extender/expander' and found little...try Harvey tru channel or other brand name storms...
good luck..
...jade

clover
Been here a good while

Post by clover »

Van Courtland Blue is one of my favorite blues! I have a stack of BM historic blue chips in my bedroom - and am trying to decide between Van Courtland and Buckland for the master.

I also joined OHW way back in 2007 B.K. (before kids). Ages 7, 5, 3 and 2. I only wish I'd known then how much time I really had on my hands. I could have gotten SO much more done around here! Welcome!

DavidP
Been here a while

Post by DavidP »

Chadzeilenga wrote:I've always felt that dark sashes/storms add some depth to the exterior of a house. I'm not sure why the reverse combo isn't appealing, but dark windows are a nice contrast.

I worked with a historic color consultant when preparing to paint my house (1904 Queen Anne). He told me that for a house of that era it was very common to paint the sash a dark color, very dark green or dark brown; I did the latter and think it looks great (see photo here. My triple-track storms are also the same dark brown. So people back then liked that look, as you do, for whatever reason.

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

The c1900 scheme I resurrected on our place, had brown sashes (I just found this out after painting most of them dark red :o ) - At least the red is period correct too, and considering my trim was the same brown I think I am happier with what I have now
Mick...

Don M

Post by Don M »

Hi Chad & Ann,
Glad you came over from OHW, I think I remember some of your pictures; I was also on the original OHW so you may remember me as well. My triple tracks are painted to match the trim color & seem to blend in, not standing out. If you make a new storm extender be sure to leave a couple vent holes for moisture to escape. Don