I guess we lost a member...

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Duffy666
Knows the area

Re: I guess we lost a member...

Post by Duffy666 »

Son sorry for your loss.
Another day on the correct side of the dirt.

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

It must be so hard to lose a parent that had such a positive roll in your life. How lucky you are to have had him and the memories that will sustain you and the rest of your family.
Diane

Don M

Post by Don M »

So sorry Phil.

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Deepest condolences Phil. Sorry to hear this.

Sara
Been here a while

Post by Sara »

Of course I'm bumping bad news up to the top of the thread as I weed back through all of the happenings I missed in the last 6 months. But honestly - your post about you father was very affecting. Hope everything has worked itself out financially and your family is remembering your father fondly.

MJ1987
Been here a while

Post by MJ1987 »

I know this was a while ago, but I'm sorry for your loss, Phil. Though the sense of loss does fade a bit over time, the void definitely remains. I'm lucky enough to have my parents (both will help on the house where they can) but lost my grandparents recently. I always feel like I keep my grandfather's memory alive by "Rube Goldberg"-ing things in a pinch, like he did. The knowledge passed down is most definitely a powerful legacy. We're lucky to have been influenced by them!
Matt

I built a chimney for a comrade old;
I did the service not for hope or hire:
And then I travelled on in winter’s cold,
Yet all the day I glowed before the fire.

-Edwin Markham

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I have so many memories of my dad. We were really close. in my younger days I moved out and lived on my own but 10 years later shared a house part time with them. they would go to the summer place except in the winter. we all got along so well it wasn't weird when I was older. It allowed me to save for my house. after an indecent with his golf cart he had a tough year in hospital recovering from it. spinal injuries and metal bars pinning his back and neck together. He said he'd walk out of there and he did. then he said now I'm going to live another 10 years and he did that too. Not a day passes when I dont' think of him and feel thankful for all he taught me and for how nice he was to his family.
My sister turned evil, she ran mom to the bank and took all her money out. mom is alive it's her money. it cost many thousands in lawyers to get most of it back in her account. no one in the family was mean or hurtful to her. mom is the kindest lady ever. none have spoken to sister since. she lost her family and didn't even really gain monetarily. she's rich anyway.

I try to forget my sister since I cant' forgive her. when dad was near the end I said it's OK, we loved him and us three brothers and mom were all supporting him. I bought a wheelchair van and spent oodles of time getting it working nice. we made a few special trips with him. he even got back on his golf cart with his dog and drove it around. we had many visits. he just got to the point where he couldn't swallow and lived on a feeding tube the last six months. maybe he did that for us or maybe we prolonged his life not wanting to let him go but in the end nature had to take it's course.
He had a great life though. he retired early and had lots to live for. He had a good life. Now I'm just thankful that we had so much good time together. The attention turns to mom now and she is needing more care and attention but she can walk a mile at 85. her mom lived to 104.

thanks for the kind comments. I'm ok. of course there are sad moments but the hardest part was making the decisions in life. after death there are none to make and when I think of him it usually isn't' about medical stuff, it isn't the thousands of trips to see him, It's his smart ass jokes that we heard a thousand times and still tell. So often when I'm doing stuff I remember that he showed me how. I'll try to pass on what I can.