Northern Indiana old house addict

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Pathways_Past
Just Arrived

Northern Indiana old house addict

Post by Pathways_Past »

Hello all, I think it's about time I introduce myself after having lurked around a bit. I can't remember how I first stumbled across this forum, but I'm a bit obsessive in my research, and was reminded to circle back here when I saw it linked from The Old House Guy website.

I live in a modest Vernacular/Folk Victorian house in Northern Indiana that was likely built c.1886, and was owned by the same family from 1930-2001 when my husband and I bought it. After many years of not being quite sure what style my house was, I found a postcard of the high school building next door, where I could see just a bit of gingerbread on the gable, and after that I started doing my detective work and piecing together the information that the previous owner had given me. I imagine I'll be pursuing that for many years to come!

Through researching the history of my house, I grew to have a passion for the work and have helped others research their homes as well. My grandfather and dad were both avid genealogists; my grandfather was responsible for cataloging the cemeteries of Waldo Co., Maine, where my dad's family originated. I grew up tagging along with my parents to libraries, antique stores, visiting distant relatives, and pouring over my dad's old books and letters in the basement.

My dad retired from the military and decided to attend college, and not long after we moved from Northern Virginia to Indiana and into a 1930s (Sears?) bungalow that was college housing. I remember digging up a piece of wrought iron in the yard that my dad said looked like farm equipment, and I told him that I'd like to become an archeologist someday. My love for that house has remained, though it was torn down a few years ago to make a parking lot for the hospital. I can't ever forget the warmth that I felt in those walls, in spite of the plastic we had to put over the windows each winter! :lol:

You can read about my house here: https://pathwayspast.wordpress.com/2015 ... agination/

There's a more detailed history here: https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/pa ... dpress.com

And a bio done on the (darling) previous owner by the historical society: https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/pa ... dpress.com

In a moment I will add some before and after photos as well. I hope to make a real nuisance of myself here with questions! And I look forward to getting to know you all! :mrgreen:

Pathways_Past
Just Arrived

Re: Northern Indiana old house addict

Post by Pathways_Past »

Here's the house as it looked when we bought it in 2001.
212Jefferson.jpg
212Jefferson.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 532 times

Here it is this past summer, a work in progress. We've since painted the railings to match the trim, and I'm in the process of painting the screen door pink. It will never truly be restored as I'd like it to be. Exterior walls were removed to incorporate the porch with the rest of the house, new windows were installed on the lower level, and the entire thing encapsulated in waveline asbestos siding. People just loved "updating" these little houses. I'm grateful that it's pretty siding as far as such atrocities go.
The city required that we paint the house in 2010, and while this is certainly an improvement, I wish I'd had more time to carefully consider. The blue is brighter than I intended - rookie mistake.

Not sure why this is sideways!
212Jefferson2.jpg
212Jefferson2.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 532 times

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Welcome to the district, looking forward to more pics. History is so much fun when you can relate it to some thing like your home isn't it!

Kmarissa
Knows the back streets

Post by Kmarissa »

Welcome! Cute house. :)