Hullo from the "there be dragons here" area of MA

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Hullo from the "there be dragons here" area of MA

Post by Lily left the valley »

This forum was recommended to me by a fellow city-data old house fan, and once here, I remembered seeing the site listed on the oldhouseguy's site.

I have had an interest in restoration for many years. I've worked on two late 1800's buildings in the past (one a standalone office for a mill, the other a former servants' quarters for an estate that was converted to a multi family.) I also grew up in a very DIY family, and my father is a hobbyist wood crafter, which I helped with when I was old enough. I also went to undergrad initially for art, focusing on sculpture (wood/metal/stone), then ended up in tech theatre where I did both stagecraft and light/scenic design.

Spouse and I are finally settling down after having lived in many places in the almost 16 years we've been together, and are looking to buy our first home.

We stumbled upon what is looking to be a roughened by time gem sooner than planned, so now we're scrambling to get our ducks in a row to make an offer. It's an estimated 1940s built cape. She's just shy of 1,000 sq. ft. of finished spaces by the tax card, which does not include the full basement with a storm cellar type entrance. (Original laundry sink down there!) Here's a pic from the RE listing, and quick picture I took of the front door upper detail:
Image Image
From what we saw during the showing, there was very little remuddling other than siding and newer aluminum storms on the first and half floor windows. They did, however, hide the two sidelights flanking the mud porch door with siding outside, which baffled me--security worries maybe? The basement windows still have the original wood frame storm inserts. The bathroom is at least partially original, but has some oddness going on I won't get into unless things move forward.

Since folks love pics, here are two more of some built-ins I took last week when we had our showing. My apologies to all that I only had my cheap camera with me that day. The RE listing didn't do this home justice, so I had no idea what we would find once inside.

The first is the landing area of the 1/2 floor. You can see the knee wall storage door as well, and there's an identical on the other side of the stairs. They did blow in insulation to the attic somewhat recently, but it seems well done from what spouse said (he used to do extermination/related cleanouts, so he's seen/worked on a lot of attics).

The second is the dining area to the left when you enter the front door. The door to the left of the cabinet leads out to a wee side porch that does have modern windows to convert it to three season usage. They are the only newer windows (save the storm inserts) in the home. An additional neat thing about that porch is you can see the original siding on the west wall that is the back of the mud porch exterior wall beside it. There is still original hardwood flooring under the carpet in the front room, and from the peek I took from a doorway, it looks to be in decent shape at the very least.

Image Image

If all goes well, we should be making an offer this week, and then wait and see how the fates align for us or not.

I look forward to hanging out with folks here, and hopefully if all goes well, I'll start posting project pics when the time comes. I warn folks in advance that I tend to be verbose, especially when I don't have time to edit myself down. :wave:
Last edited by Lily left the valley on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Mick_VT

Re: Hullo from the "there be dragons here" area of MA

Post by Mick_VT »

Hey Lily, welcome to the District! :thumbup: :thumbup: :wave: :wave:
Mick...

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

Welcome Lily, that is a lovely home
and looks to be in nice condition. Hope all goes well if you decide to make an offer. :thumbup:

Susan

Lily left the valley

Thank you both. I'm already finding so many things to learn and laugh about here.
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Honestly, considering the interior details your little gem looks some 20 years older than 1940 to me! Great house I'd say!

Lily left the valley

Texas_Ranger wrote:Honestly, considering the interior details your little gem looks some 20 years older than 1940 to me! Great house I'd say!

Thank you for saying so. :D I suspected the same as well once I saw inside. The tax card says "est 1940" which the listing just put as 1940. (The listing, by the way, I'm convinced was written by a color blind person. The vinyl siding is mint green, not blue. It won't last too long anyhoo if the wooden siding underneath is still good. Fall isn't the worst time to paint, right?)

When I first found it on sale, I did dig through old town plans to try to figure out exactly when it was built but couldn't manage to do so. The couple that last lived there bought it in 1975. The husband passed away at 66 in 2001, and is buried in a church cemetery in town. I think the wife is still alive. I found an obit for one of her brothers in April (seems she's the last sibling alive), and it listed her as living in a nearby town. Given a medical lien I found on record when I searched under her name, she may be in elder care there. I haven't gone so far yet as to join one of the ancestry sites. I recently started to understand how the town lists their register books and pages from earlier days, so I'm hoping this week to make some time to start tracing backwards better that way.

Since we were only viewing, I didn't feel comfortable digging too much under layers of flooring. You can see the insulation they added in 2012 to the attic in one, behind the wrap. There is some linoleum in the knee attic storages. Each side has a different pattern, and neither matches the kitchen:
ImageImage
Speaking of the kitchen, here's two pics of there, it's hard to take a picture of the entire back wall because of where the stairwell is (that's my stuff plunked on the counter, next to the maintenance log of the company that's maintaining the place for Fannie Mae). You can see some layers of wall covering in the one shot though.:
Image Image
I did, though, stumble across the town plans of when they actually added the street it's on. The name of the street, Wickman, apparently was derived from a family name, as the Wickmans owned most of the property there then.

Right now we're putting our bid together, just waiting on the bank which has been a timing game because my spouse is a rural postal carrier, so he can't always take a phone call while working and has no e-mail access then since we both have dumb phones.

My spouse took great delight in recounting the back and forths today. The original bank person we had talked to at our branch is on vacation, so the one we're now working with from another branch had to be brought up to speed. "They thought we wanted to borrow $300,000." *we both laugh* I ask, "Didn't our branch send him the listing info we gave them?" Spouse replies, " Apparently not. But when I gave him the info, he said he didn't see any problems. Please send me x documents because I don't have copies from your branch.'" So we should have our letter tomorrow to put together with the bid--finally. I'm sure other folks have waited more than a week for a letter, but when you're first timers doing the waiting, it feels like forever. :lol: We also have the list of documents they want to start the actual mortgage process, so we're pulling those too to save delays later.

We took a walk tonight to visit the house. It's a fairly short walk from where we're renting right now. She looked so lonely, the only dark house on the block. :cry:
Last edited by Lily left the valley on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lily left the valley

I'm trying not to have a heart attack. I just found out Fannie Mae's paperwork is 14 pages long, and a lot of it is standard, so it doesn't even apply to the house. :roll: Tomorrow is going to be a long sit down, I can see this already. (We're not getting a loan with them, they are the seller.)

I'm sure for the old hand buyers around here, this is nothing. To us, it's terrifying.

Sent out a fee request to an inspector I am hopeful about with some details about the home. Not sure what turnaround time is for such, so I thought the earlier the better.

So many lists I have on my desk right now. Sooo many. ;-)

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Holy cow, the second lino floor is cool! Not sure I'd want to live with it forever in a room like my kitchen but definitely cool!

The kitchen floor screams late 70s/80s to me though, no cool factor there. Thumbs pressed for your purchase!

Don M

Post by Don M »

:thumbup: Hello and welcome to The Neighborhood! Good luck with your offer & hopefully things will go smoothly. This is all very exciting!! :thumbup:

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

welcome to our wonderful neighborhood!!!
hope all goes well and you will soon be home owners in the state furniture capital of Massachusetts!! I live another hour plus west of you near greenfield...
...jade