Hullo from the "there be dragons here" area of MA

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Hullo from the "there be dragons here" area of MA

Post by Lily left the valley »

Don M wrote:Yes it's clearly in your & the bank's best interests to have all systems working & the bank darn sure isn't going to lend money on a property without being sure it's worth loan value.

Oh, I know it, which was why I am getting so tired of the Selling Agent only countering with the same exact big fat "NO" over and over again instead of actually trying to work with us.

We tried a new tactic yesterday, and her response to snatch up the baited hook just made me laugh in a very dark way. Sometimes I wish folks weren't predictable. :doh:

What frustrates me the most is we are only trying to work around one issue--water. She just won't back off until we do exactly what she tells us to do, and now that we threw her some bait, she is pushing even harder in an attempt to increase her advantage. We are still the only interested party in the now 16 days since the price dropped so much.

After printing out almost 80 pages of HUD/FHA related documents over the course of the night, and reading same in between, I am tired but hopeful.

Depending on how my follow up escalated call from Fannie Mae (you know, the Selling Agent's client) goes, I may even start to smile a bit more lightly, or I'll just start stocking up comfort foods for the long dark trail ahead.

We have a second viewing today at 42, so there's some chance for me to further diminsh her big fat "NO".

Time will tell. :popcorn:
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Don M

Post by Don M »

:character-oldtimer: Good Luck; I hope this all will work out for you! :violin:

Lily left the valley

Don M wrote::character-oldtimer: Good Luck; I hope this all will work out for you! :violin:

;-) Thanks!
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

Lily left the valley

We went to view 42 again yesterday. Now that the buzz of awesome discoveries was faded, it was time to embrace the reality of things that sure will need fixing discovery. We still love the house, but I'm trying to make sure spouse will be able to live with living in construction. It's weird trying to mentally prepare someone for that. We've started playing negotiation games between us. "Ok, so we agree to not move in until D, X and Y are done, but everything else we'll try to room by room after we move in, with 1/2 floor rooms being the priority, right?" :lol:

The plumbing is worse than I thought, but not as bad as I'd feared. The first visit, we just had looked for evidence of puddling, this time we brought the good flashlight. We spent most of out time there examining it more carefully today, and the long term corrosion is evident in a few places. I found myself peeling back "patches" of duct tape, cloth, I'm not even sure what one of them was to see the bigger sibling of whatever pinhole leaks grow to be, evidence of long ago worn out washers not being replaced, and concerns about if there will be more waiting when the water gets turned on or not. There was one very small section of PVC replacement we spotted in the basement under the tub close the to the drain trap, but everything else is still copper or galvanized. I suspect what little copper we saw was earlier replacement to galvanized. Oh, and the basement floor is slab for certain.

One other thing we were bothered by is that the sump apparently has stopped working. It's warm to the touch, but not pumping, unlike our last visit. The standing pool of water was much wider this time, and we'd had much less rain recently than our prior visit. The only good thing about that is I had talk to someone in engineering at City Hall, and we both agreed the in ground terra cotta pipes that are where the gutters dump into probably just need a clean out, which he suggested may be why the basement is damp. He hadn't seen the place, this came up when we were discussing building patterns of the time. He thinks we have one, possibly two, dry cisterns that the terra pipes feed into.

One interesting discovery is that inside the kitchen cabinets, I saw baseboard that is identical to the other living areas. So it seems the cabinets were added later.

It does seem that the lavender toilet and tub are original. The tank lid appears to have been dropped at some point, and the broken corner glued back on. I did forget to look for a maker mark. The bottom of the toilet is art deco detailed instead of the usual softened corners, which is why I'm fairly confident they are original, and again it points to the home being built before 1940. At some point, I need to go back over the deed records and see what was what with that. The sink/cabinet, though, as remembered, doesn't match. What I found odd is that in both the kitchen and bath is what we thought was tile actually seems to be a composite sheeting that is stamped to look like tile. And it was obviously added later, because around the tub, it goes over the edge, instead of lines up like normal, making the edge on that side barely there. In the kitchen, it's one of the later layers in wall covering. The lino in both kitchen and bath seems glued down on wood, but it looks like subfloor wood strips, not regular wood flooring (thinner). The good news is I found no mold whatsoever, even when I peeled back a few bits where I thought I might. My bigger concern is still that the home wasn't winterized in time, and what a mess that could be. I've temp lived a home where such happened. Fixing pinholes with a cheap kit you bought as a temporary patch until the plumber the owner hired can do it right is no fun at all.

We also tried to take a look again at what seems a sewage pipe next to the sump (the one you can see in the fuse picture from before in this thread), and what we can't figure out is what it is for. There's an identical one near the laundry area, which is right under the kitchen/bath area. So was the kitchen formerly in the front of house? I can't imagine they had a bath in front of house. When we looked at the plan I got from town, it is right next to where the city water intake enters the home.

The windows overall are ok, some sash cord issues, very few cracks. The glass doesn't seem as old as what I'm used to in 1800's places, but it is true divided light for certain. One nice find was the linen closet in the hall my brain kept wanting to remember but I didn't remember actually seeing. It was an odd "all is right with the world" moment. I think I needed such after some of the plumbing discoveries. :whistle:

Although the first floor ceilings are definitely plaster and seem in very good shape (no droops I could find), the 1/2 floor ceiling is likely asbestos tile.

We still are trying to find a way to get past the weird sticking point with the Selling Agent over either having the water turned on for inspection or handing over a disclosure as to why they keep refusing to do it. The latest excuse was they didn't want to pay to re-winterize it after, but as one person I happened to talk to that's also a realtor commented, "Why would you need to re-winterize it if the house will be sold based on that anyway?"

I am convinced the Selling Agent only wants an all usuals waivered cash buyer. I just need to figure out how to work around that.

springmoon33
Knows the area

Post by springmoon33 »

Hey, I just bought a house in Fitchburg that was foreclosed as well. I just finished plumbing for basics on the house, your best bet is to re do all your piping, we had leaks all over the place, last winter was tough for these homes with the sub zero temps.
It's funny to hear you say fix room by room, as that was my idea, but reality for me was that once i did one i ended up gutting 3 rooms and insulating them. My house however was in worst condition cosmetically.
The selling agent was much like yours, very hard, the bank really just wanted a cash buyer but I offered them almost asking price with them paying for closing costs.
Best of luck.

springmoon33
Knows the area

Post by springmoon33 »

Lily left the valley wrote:
We still are trying to find a way to get past the weird sticking point with the Selling Agent over either having the water turned on for inspection or handing over a disclosure as to why they keep refusing to do it. The latest excuse was they didn't want to pay to re-winterize it after, but as one person I happened to talk to that's also a realtor commented, "Why would you need to re-winterize it if the house will be sold based on that anyway?"

Dont even bother asking for that, because they won't. In other places it might be different but around here a foreclosure is 'as is' and they do not feel they have to turn on any utilities. Mine was winterized and the number of leaks lead us to just do all the plumbing. I tried for them to turn it on before closing, but that was not going to happen. When a agent has foreclosed homes from banks they are responsible for all the upkeep out of pocket until bank reimburse them. So if they are to turn on the water it will be coming out of her pocket to do all that until bank pays her commission and also think if there are leaks and there is property damage she is responsible for that too. That's what was told to me. I would just budget for re-plumbing.

Lily left the valley

springmoon33 wrote: Dont even bother asking for that, because they won't. In other places it might be different but around here a foreclosure is 'as is' and they do not feel they have to turn on any utilities. Mine was winterized and the number of leaks lead us to just do all the plumbing. I tried for them to turn it on before closing, but that was not going to happen. When a agent has foreclosed homes from banks they are responsible for all the upkeep out of pocket until bank reimburse them. So if they are to turn on the water it will be coming out of her pocket to do all that until bank pays her commission and also think if there are leaks and there is property damage she is responsible for that too. That's what was told to me. I would just budget for re-plumbing.

This is so weird. I thought I had replied last night, and maybe I didn't hit the submit button. :oops:

Thanks for the info. We are currently pursuing a non rehab loan since we thought it would only be an electric upgrade needed, and after reading your response, I need to talk to our mortgage guy again to see if we had rehab, if that would help. I mention this because he told me they have to be able to do a full assessment with the water turned on. I'm not sure how that's going to work at this point. Our realtor seems to think we're fine as is, and once the "first assessor" comes in and says the plumbing needs to be fixed, the Selling Agent will concede, but she made it pretty clear she would not. After reading what you wrote, I'm thinking the same. I'm going to send you a PM about this too.

~~~
Related to 42, and water...
I found an image of a Sears kit Cape in an article about kit homes in general I clicked on while reading about a total rehab of a condemned Victorian that was saved. The kit has the kitchen in the front. This isn't exactly like the layout of our home, but the layout still makes sense compared to ours, where there would have been the two beds in the back, with the walk through to the bath from the left bedroom if the bath was arranged differently.

It would explain the other sewage pipe in front of house, and also why the current kitchen has baseboard behind the cabinets. I really need to dig through paperwork if we do get the house. I'm still not convinced what folks keep telling me (built in 1940) is right. Here's the image I found, and I'm referring to the smaller of the two variants:

Lily left the valley

We're still thinking about 42, but we're also trying to come to terms with the fact that it's just not happening anytime in the near future minus an unexpected windfall so we could cash buy.

Spouse still want his own house, so I'm still doing the occasional check to see what comes up. Yesterday, realtor.com had a new listing of a '35 Bungalow a short walk from where we rent now. For some reason, the realtor ad doesn't yet have pics, but when I checked at Zillow, they did.

If you like wood, feel free to look at built ins and such with the link below. I think at least some of the windows are replacements, though. I'm going to take a walk later today to see since the tax card makes no mention of an upgrade. I wish the neighbors were a bit further off, but this is more typical lot size wise for here. (I know spouse will hate that most although there isn't a home directly across, and he will be thrilled at 1.5 baths.)

The kitchen is kind of funky, but not in a bad way. I think that's a metal cabinet under the sink, and they maybe decided to hide rust with wallpaper. I'm hoping I'm wrong about the rust.

Time will tell!

'35 Bungalow

Don M

Post by Don M »

I like this house; the original kitchen cabinets, hard wood floors, original doors & windows, wood work not painted. The metal kitchen cabinet might have rust; if so it might be possible to have it refinished by an auto body company. Interesting it appears that a kitchen radiator has been removed (valve still present).

Lily left the valley

Don M wrote:I like this house; the original kitchen cabinets, hard wood floors, original doors & windows, wood work not painted. The metal kitchen cabinet might have rust; if so it might be possible to have it refinished by an auto body company. Interesting it appears that a kitchen radiator has been removed (valve still present).

I'm glad you mentioned the radiator. I was pretty sure that's what should be there myself. I have no idea what a radiator costs...and I just went and looked, but at least now I know. :lol:

I showed spouse the pictures before he went to work this morning, as expected, he grumbled about the neighbor closeness, but said it still was worth looking into a bit more.

So when the sun came up, I went for a stroll and took a look as best I could without alarming the neighbors. I lucked out in that an elderly neighbor who knew the original owner (passed a while ago) happened to come home when I was staring from across the street pondering.

She was very helpful in our chat about the house. Apparently the most recent renters never paid a dime to the owners (who live in California, inherited the house) and were evicted in the spring or so. The smaller house next door apparently is being rented by a lass who used to rent it. The neighbor didn't say why she made the jump, but I'm guessing if she is single, it made more financial sense (much smaller home).

I'm not thrilled in that it has asbestos siding, and more so because the listing says it's Masonite, unlike what the tax card says. I found several spots where the shingles are broken. I found one spot where it seemed like something struck it as it was caved in, and there was what looked like reflective panel insulation behind that, which surprised me.

It does, however, seem that all the windows are wood. So that was one happy tick into the "yes" box. It has aluminum storms, but changing those out can be a way down the road project.

There's also an interesting property boundary line on the one side with large rocks and vegetation. I also found a largish spot in the backyard that had...something there before. I'd say above ground pool, but the area with the liner partially buried under leaves seemed more rectangular. Maybe they had a floating patio or something around it. I forgot to ask the neighbor.

Speaking of, she did tell me it has both a pantry as well as a kitchen. That made me happy as well. I love the kitchen pics I did see, and I agree if there is rust, that unit can always be repaired.

I left a message asking for a showing a bit ago. So now it's just wait and see. That reminds me...I still haven't found the good camera. *grumbles to self*