Hullo from the "there be dragons here" area of MA

Introduce yourself here, tell us about your house and interests. Share some pictures.
Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Re: Hullo from the "there be dragons here" area of MA

Post by Lily left the valley »

Texas_Ranger wrote:Wooohooooooo, you did it! Congrats!

Thankies!
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

I realized that neither really fits right and I'm thinking because they're not the usual "no head" threaded straight shaft set screw that both were replacements.

just find any screw that fits the threads. You can cut the head off with a hacksaw and then cut a slot to make your own setscrew if you don't want to go setscrew shopping ;-) if the threads are a little on the sloppy side you can try wrapping it with plumbers tape.

Lily left the valley
Inventor of Knob and Tube

Post by Lily left the valley »

phil wrote:I realized that neither really fits right and I'm thinking because they're not the usual "no head" threaded straight shaft set screw that both were replacements.

just find any screw that fits the threads. You can cut the head off with a hacksaw and then cut a slot to make your own setscrew if you don't want to go setscrew shopping ;-) if the threads are a little on the sloppy side you can try wrapping it with plumbers tape.
I later found quite a few actual set screws here and there. Since we're not using the front door right now, it went down a few notches on the To Do list. I was thinking much the same, though, Phil, as far as just clipping heads off other screws that fit. Hadn't thought of the plumber's tape idea though--obvious when reading it, but my brain didn't make the jump on its own. ;-)
--Proud member of the Industrious Cheapskate Club
--Currently pondering ways to encourage thoughtful restovation and discourage mindless renovation.